Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/financial-community-and-intel.15746/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Financial community and Intel

Arthur Hanson

This morning the financial community on CNBC has lost faith in Gelsinger plans and especially using taxpayer money to build a fab in Ohio, which has a limited tech base. Having worked in Ohio, I find this especially true. My personal opinion is the culture in Ohio in the tech sector is well behind the curve and not the place to build a fab. This is not just opinion, but my actual experience, not even close to the tech centers in the Silicon Valley and the tech world around the Pacific north west. Just my opinion from personal experience and having done business in Ohio. I hope the best for Intel, but I feel they need to change the path they are on. Any thoughts or comments on this appreciated since I make my living investing in tech.

This morning the financial community on CNBC has lost faith in Gelsinger plans and especially using taxpayer money to build a fab in Ohio, which has a limited tech base. Having worked in Ohio, I find this especially true. My personal opinion is the culture in Ohio in the tech sector is well behind the curve and not the place to build a fab. This is not just opinion, but my actual experience, not even close to the tech centers in the Silicon Valley and the tech world around the Pacific north west. Just my opinion from personal experience and having done business in Ohio. I hope the best for Intel, but I feel they need to change the path they are on. Any thoughts or comments on this appreciated since I make my living investing in tech.

It is my understanding that Ohio is of political importance which is key when you want federal funding. In this case I do believe in Pat's strategy of "build it and they will come". I also doubt that the Ohio fabs will be in HVM for years to come due to the semiconductor equipment shortages so there is plenty of time for Intel to train people for work in Ohio. $100M should help quite a bit:

It is my understanding that Ohio is of political importance which is key when you want federal funding. In this case I do believe in Pat's strategy of "build it and they will come". I also doubt that the Ohio fabs will be in HVM for years to come due to the semiconductor equipment shortages so there is plenty of time for Intel to train people for work in Ohio. $100M should help quite a bit:

Time is money and Intel in their position can't afford to waste time building the local ecosystem needed for a leading edge fab that they need and it's something the tax payer shouldn't to shoulder the burden for a so called questionable investment. Politicians and their beneficiaries like to call every boondoggle or low return project an investment. This looks like to be another waste of money. If it's truly and investment, the government should be given shares of Intel, this has been done in the past a few times, but too few times. If it is truly a good investment, Gelsinger should have no problem with this structure.

I don't think Taiwan was awash with semiconductor technologists when TSMC was founded. Intel is building a foundry not a technology development centre. Gelsinger overstating the importance these fabs for the local economy to attract local government money.

I don't think Taiwan was awash with semiconductor technologists when TSMC was founded. Intel is building a foundry not a technology development centre. Gelsinger overstating the importance these fabs for the local economy to attract local government money.

Maybe TSMC will announce a Giga fab complex in Ohio too. Intel diversifying manufacturing to another state is smart. Especially after AZ stabbed Intel in the back with the TSMC funding. Hawaii would be a great place for a fab. I'm sure tech people would flock there. Ohio is a much tougher sell for sure. And who knows, maybe Hawaii will need a silicon shield like Taiwan. Remember Pearl Harbor. ;)

1. 40:44 Intel want subsides for the expensive machines. Not their labor cost. (lol)

2. TSMC will get subsidies too. Nikkie News said Japanese commercial department people reveal to Nikkie reporter. That TSMC told the amount of subsidies US government proposed. Japanese government was shock. I can find that report now. But you can compared to Japanese subsidies to TSMC which is $3.5 billion.

3. Setting so many Fabs around the world will get Intel more orders and subsidies. But it will cost Intel more because of less efficient in the long term. (10-20 years)

Back