Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/fast-charging-or-regular-charging.15052/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Fast charging or regular charging?

Eva713

Hi, all
The last week I've bought a new phone. Not surprisingly, it came with Huawei Quick Charge adapter (Li-Pol 3300 mAh battery). Although it charges from ~10% to 100% for about 1.5 hours, I consider that this might be bad for the battery than the regular charging.
quick charge QC.jpg

My previous phone came with a standard charging adapter, which was taking approximately 3 hours to charge from 20% to 100%. However, I do think about continuing to use my old charging adapter, because it would increase the lifespan of the battery. Although I have read this.
So what do you think of it? Does the regular charging adapters may increase the lifespan of a phone's battery, or it would be better to use the the charger that came with the phone, although it's a so called "quick charging adapter" and pumps up the phone's battery from 10% to 100% for a little more than a hour?

I have Samsung phone , been fast charging it 2yrs and battery still excellent in my opinion, charge up fast and go down slow.

Lots of evidence in favor of slow charging. Phone makers don't mind if you fast charge, then replace your phone when battery dies early.

Most cells these days handle 1C level charge without much detriment to the cells. Any faster charge requires good cooling of the cell while charging so it's more a matter of environmental considerations. If you're not in a hurry, just use regular charge or a "fast charger" that peaks at roughly 1C.

So many different flavors of fast charging these days, I'd only use chargers over 25w if I absolutely have to in a pinch, otherwise, I'd just use a charger that's rated 15w or less. 4000mAh, 3.8v nominal, 15.2w, roughly 1C, seems to be a good rule of thumb to work with.

I just changed my Linux laptop to a new ultra book. I purchased some USB type
C chargers that use new Gallium Nitride semiconductor technology. Charger is
as small as a normal grounded wall plug. It has 65/30/15 watt charging that
it figures out. It also supposedly preserves battery life. My ultrabook battery
lasts so long, it partially charges for quite a long use in just 30 minutes or so.
My use is software development with lots of compiles and short simulation runs.

Thank you for all your replies.
We'll have to see temps, battery health and safety mostly. I just realized, if you can charge the phone from 0-100 in 8 minutes, the problem fixes itself... It literally doesn't have enough time to heat up 😂!

Back