Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/eda-is-the-safest-space-in-semiconductors.12662/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

EDA is the Safest Space in Semiconductors!

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
I agree with this statement %100! Systems companies are now the majority of EDA revenue and they can write some very big checks. I work with both systems companies and fabless chip companies and it is a different world. The chip companies are always looking at ways to cut costs and squeeze EDA partners out of existence. The systems companies on the other hand are always looking at ways to build a better SoC no matter what the costs. If you ever wonder why Apple and Huawei can produce better SoCs than the fabless SoC founding fathers QCOM or Mediatek that is why. A completely different approach to building chips, absolutely.

"Analyst Mitch Steves calls electronic design and automation the safest space in semiconductors, expecting continued growth and margin expansion over the next five years. RBC raises Cadence Design's (CDNS -0.5%) price target from $85 to $101 and its Synopsys (SNPS -0.9%) target from $185 to $210. RBC maintains an Outperform rating on both companies. Cadence and Synopsys have Bullish average Wall St. Analysts ratings."

Dan, do you think TSM will ever take a portion of the EDA market closest to actual production to maintain and protect proprietary? Also, what are your thoughts about fabs companies working with equipment suppliers like AMAT and ASML among others to also protect their mutual IP? Thanks

No, I don't think they will. TSMC does a good job of protecting IP but as you well know most semiconductor related IP goes out the door with employees. It is part of the circle of semiconductor life. TSMC goes a good job of employee retention but when battling human greed it is just not possible to get 100% IP protection.

Dan, do you think TSM will ever take a portion of the EDA market closest to actual production to maintain and protect proprietary? Also, what are your thoughts about fabs companies working with equipment suppliers like AMAT and ASML among others to also protect their mutual IP? Thanks

My name is Dan also, the other one (!). Being close to TSMC Ottawa for the last 7 years I can tell you that IP that they create is free. The one that they create/migrate for customers is super protected, not even contractors can touch it :) So this is not even a valid question. To answer to the Daniel Nenni, I believe that only experienced teams can create good SoC or any other chips. The new Facebook, Google and Microsoft are not doing much on their own, they hire solid contractor houses or just buy the top performers and claim that was internally developed. My view is that competition makes the tools better and if there is only "easy life" they will start to sleep...

Typically, NDAs for fab companies and equipment vendors were signed before engagement. Will it be 100% protection? Not possible.

There's a huge difference between apple that's half a trillion dollar industry next to cadence and synopsis that serves smaller industries. Aerospace, defense, and manufacturing is interesting work but it's not apple or Amazon (which uses mediatek).

EDA is booming for sure. It's something we should be look at through a paradoxical lens.

Back