[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Dubious Nvidia 7nm rumour

lefty

Many websites are reporting a new rumour about Nvidia switching to Samsung for their 7nm node. The original rumour source seems to have been a Japanese site "My Navi News": 2019年はどうなる? PCテクノロジートレンド - その1 プロセス TSMC/Samsung編 (2) Samsung - 7nmのローンチパートナーはIBMとNVIDIA | マイナビニュース
However, if you read the article carefully you notice that the author is talking about Nvidia going to Samsung as if it was a known fact, not as if they were breaking the news. Also, it says that it might be Samsung 8nm, not 7nm. This leads me to believe that the origin of the rumour is actually a Korean report that broke in September last year: Samsung Loses Nvidia’s GPU Foundry Competition to Taiwan’s TSMC - 비즈니스코리아 - BusinessKorea
That report also is unsure if Nvidia will use 7nm or 8nm. The Korean press has proved to be a very unreliable source for rumours, especially concerning Samsung. They always tend to twist the facts to make Samsung look good.

I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff.

I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff.
That is very interesting, thanks for the info.

That is very interesting, thanks for the info.

By the way, Mellanox is also a long time TSMC customer so there is great design synergy there. I spoke to a couple of friends who work for Mellanox and they are quite pleased with the acquisition. Nvidia was the internal choice over Intel and Xilinx but of course money was everything. One funny story apparently Xilinx could not go a full sentence without mentioning AI. A bit obsessive, I hope it works out for them.

I read Nvidia was going with Samsung for 7nm. So that's not true?

I know NVDA has taped out at TSMC 7nm and is working on TSMC 5nm but they may also be using Samsung. If you are an early access TSMC customer, which NVDA is, your team cannot work on a competitive node. My guess is that if they are using Samsung it is not the bleeding edge stuff or it is a different team.

The TSMC Symposium is next month so we will know more then, absolutely.

Back