Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/does-intel-deserve-tax-payer-money.14052/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Does Intel deserve tax payer money?

Arthur Hanson

With AMD leaving Intel in the dust, does Intel deserve taxpayer money? Any thoughts on this? Any alternatives on a better way to spend/invest tax payer money in the semi sector? Can Intel be turned around?

I think Intel deserves tax payer money for a defense related secure semiconductor supply chain. Nothing more or less. Same for GF once they go IPO and shed the foreign control.

Same for GF once they go IPO and shed the foreign control.

Well, same can be said any big fab player. See, all of them are owned by some obscure funds, largely on behalf of people from The Gulf. Gulfs state for long set their mind on the idea that "silicon is the new oil"

I think Intel deserves tax payer money for a defense related secure semiconductor supply chain. Nothing more or less. Same for GF once they go IPO and shed the foreign control.

T J Rodgers has said most military chips are easy to produce chips that don't need the cutting edge. I don't know, but assume he does.

I don't know if the concept work with quarterly earnings etc. It be a strong quarterly earnings based on taxpayer's dollars but investors want long term growth.

T J Rodgers has said most military chips are easy to produce chips that don't need the cutting edge. I don't know, but assume he does.

Very true. A lot of military needs to be radiation hardened and ruggedized and that is not leading edge. Intel 22nm would be considered leading edge for traditional military applications. For AI and security however that is leading edge silicon and AI will dominate military electronics in the coming years.

With AMD leaving Intel in the dust, does Intel deserve taxpayer money? Any thoughts on this? Any alternatives on a better way to spend/invest tax payer money in the semi sector? Can Intel be turned around?
Well, this money can't go to AMD since they don’t have any manufacturing. Intel will most likely receive some funds (if the program gets approved). The more interesting question is: are there any other companies that can participate in this program? Those might be hard to find (which is why US need this program in a first place)

Well, this money can't go to AMD since they don’t have any manufacturing. Intel will most likely receive some funds (if the program gets approved). The more interesting question is: are there any other companies that can participate in this program? Those might be hard to find (which is why US need this program in a first place)

GF, Skywater, TI, OnSemi, just to name a few. MY bet would be on Intel and GF since they seem to have strong political backing. It's all about the politics.

Back