Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/coronavirus-benefits-china-may-win-staggering-opportunities.12392/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Coronavirus Benefits, China May Win, Staggering Opportunities

Arthur Hanson

Even in a dark cloud, there can be benefits for those that have vision and the coronavirus outbreak has a few. China is now pushing online education on a large scale and I have no doubt will come up with many innovations and adapting many methods to mass distribution, learning a lot along the way and maybe even allowing them to take the lead. They have a chance to really learn how to make virtual reality an economic and effective part of education bringing down the cost of lab and hands on experimentation and practices dramatically. This has the possibility of allowing China to leap frog other competitors out of necessity by obtaining a huge economic and technical lead that VR and other technologies could bring at all levels, not just in education, but business. This is a chance to bring the creative use of remote technologies to mass implementation and take the lead in several areas. The coronavirus has created havoc for China, but like any war and this is a war against the danger in nature, it may cause massive technical leaps like many other wars. The rest of the world should be wary of this possible fast fundamental change in business, social and educational structures. The implications and markets in these areas could easily range in the trillions of dollars when all is taken into account. This is literally a war to deal with nature and wars many times have advanced numerous technologies at rates never thought possible. Silicon Valley and rest of the world should take note and see the opportunities in the dangers. Wars and adversity have many times created many surprises few and sometimes no one thought possible.

Last edited:
At Semitracks, we have been working on the online education piece for a number of years now. Some companies are open to the idea, while others are still caught in the old education model. It's not clear to us what might be the "game changer". Perhaps something like the Coronavirus might be that catalyst.

clhende, I have studied Pearson and they are making major efforts in adaptive education that has proved totally superior to standard education, both online and off, have you made any efforts in that direction and if so have you been able to improve the learning experience as far as time and retention?

clhende, I have studied Pearson and they are making major efforts in adaptive education that has proved totally superior to standard education, both online and off, have you made any efforts in that direction and if so have you been able to improve the learning experience as far as time and retention?
This is something we're working on, but we're a small company and don't have huge resources to push along this front. Hopefully, being nimble and finding a niche that works will allow us to be successful in this area. We are focused on semiconductor technology training, so that is something that no one else is really focused on. Certainly the big universities are no longer focused on this. They have all moved on to other topics, like AI, big data, security, bio tech, nano tech, etc.

Taiwan has been ahead of the world for many years. TPE is the only airport I can remember having imaging checkpoints to see if arriving passengers had a fever. I don't remember when they started using them but it has been many many years. They make me take off my hat and you can see the images as you walk through.

At Semitracks, we have been working on the online education piece for a number of years now. Some companies are open to the idea, while others are still caught in the old education model. It's not clear to us what might be the "game changer". Perhaps something like the Coronavirus might be that catalyst.

Agreed. As live conferences get cancelled all over the world we will see the continued rise of technical digital content. We are already seeing it on SemiWiki, absolutely.

Back