[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Computational Fluid Dynamics

Daniel Payne

Not quite EDA but Mentor did acquire a CFD company in the UK today called Flowmaster Group for an undisclosed amount.

I can see where there might be some customer synergy in the aerospace and automotive markets, but I'm stumped about synergy with the other markets: marine, oil and gas, power generation, process, rail and water. I should probably follow up with Erich Buergel the Mentor GM of the Mechanical Analysis Division to get an education.

See the wiki page of all EDA mergers and acquisitions here.

Perhaps Mentor acquired the company for its technology, not its current product line.

Underlying CFD and electrical field solver software is the finite element method. As signal integrity issues continue to dominate PCB board layout design, perhaps Mentor wants to bolster their offerings in this area. My contention is that Ansoft/Ansys is the current market leader in the electrical field solver marketplace.

Best Regards,

Jim

Jim,

OK, buying a company for technology can make sense.

Plus, Ansoft/Ansys bought Apache and is dabbling into EDA so why not an EDA company like Mentor starting a segment in the field solver marketplace.

Back