Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/chinese-chip-maker-smics-sales-fall-for-third-straight-quarter.19115/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Chinese chip maker SMIC's sales fall for third straight quarter

Die-buy means the wafers are shipped, tested CP ( for lower yield wafers, I believed it should be screened by CP not FT), counted GDPW and paid on good dies.
For example, if there were 100 good dies/wafer and the die-buy deal is $10/die, then $1000 will be paid for that wafer. Then the wafers were still shipped but got charged could be less than mature nodes. FYI.
Yes so die-buy I didn't consider as wafers shipped previously. It looks like each wafer officially shipped was charged the mature node rate.

If they included 7nm in the wafers shipped count, that still means the 7nm wafer (dies) got them the same revenue as a well-yielding mature node wafer. It would still fit the die-buy scenario.

In my humble opinion, it is almost pointless to discuss SMIC's wafer pricing for the 7nm wafers made for Huawei.

SMIC is just as nationalist as Huawei. There is no difference when it comes to the "self-reliance" of the "motherland". They are the twin brothers in the same family, ultimately owned by and reports to the same guy in Beijing.

SMIC could have even made the wafers for free for Huawei if ordered by the guy. Whatever SMIC is "reporting" in its financials, is not real.

In addition, Huawei has been aggressively (very high pay) hiring lots of high calibre fab engineers (process and hardware) over the last 2-3 years. It won't be surprising at all they're now capable of fabricating some of the chips by themselves.

Back