Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/can-bitcoin-mining-centers-be-used-for-blockchain-for-other-purposes.17268/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Can Bitcoin mining centers be used for blockchain for other purposes?

Arthur Hanson

Can the bitcoin mining operations be put to good/economic uses for blockchain which many say has many good uses or will these centers be consigned to the scrap heap? What do the readers think of blockchain and its usefulness now and in the future?

Just an opinion, I'm reading "The Great Wave" by David Fischer right now, so it's a monetary take. I think that is the most useful, "highest and best" use as they say about real estate. IBM, Accenture, Microsoft, etc. with their attempts to cash in on "Blockchain for X" sputtered around and quietly went away (you may find marketing collateral to the contrary), for the same reason that BTC measured in USD is in a slump, namely there are good enough alternatives with enough trust (for cereal boxes, eggs, aircraft parts, etc.).

Governments control and inflate currencies to their own first-spender advantage. This has been consistently true, but not in every nation every decade, and never goes the other direction (read the book if you don't agree). When they get aggressive, and someone will...it might first happen in some despotic African nation, or small SE Asian nation. Maybe a smaller player in the Eurozone will exit and mess up their own currency.

Blockchain or (IMO) more specifically Bitcoin will be too convenient and idled miners (one by one, not whole datacenters) will come online. They really can't serve any other purpose AFAIK. And it's a deprecated capex. There was far too much speculation too fast.

This won't be a story of "BTC beating Fiat", it will just be slow, steady P2P transactions in some otherwise adverse scenario somewhere. Hard money wins over inflated money, as it always has. FWIW, the USD will continue beating all other paper currencies simply because the US IC and Fed have the upper hand in nearly every nation or regional banking organization around the world. So don't look at BTC/USD.

Bitcoin mining typically uses many GPU servers to perform mathematical calculations in order to earn a new bitcoin. When a bitcoin is deposited into an account, then it is stored in a distributed ledger known as blockchain. So bitcoin is a virtual currency, while blockchain is a software storage approach. Hopefully bitcoin will be seen for what it is, total fiat, with no intrinsic worth, oversight or regulation. Blockchain software technology has actual, legitimate uses for supply chain, logistics, IP management, notary, etc.

Bitcoin mining typically uses many GPU servers to perform mathematical calculations in order to earn a new bitcoin. When a bitcoin is deposited into an account, then it is stored in a distributed ledger known as blockchain. So bitcoin is a virtual currency, while blockchain is a software storage approach. Hopefully bitcoin will be seen for what it is, total fiat, with no intrinsic worth, oversight or regulation. Blockchain software technology has actual, legitimate uses for supply chain, logistics, IP management, notary, etc.
GPUs are obsolete for BTC and were mostly used recently for Ethereum, but are powered down there as they switched to proof-of-stake a few months back. ASICs are far more throughput and power efficiency than GPUs for BTC which is the only remaining major proof-of-work.

I agree that the blockchain ledger is useful. The problem for BTC is the economics of it, and the throughput. The coins finance the ledger, and if they fall too cheap then the ledger grinds to a halt as miners switch off. There is no mechanism built in to allow less mining - it is designed to ratchet the difficulty, on the assumption that technology always advances. If the mining slows down then the ledger becomes even more clumsy. With Ethereum doing just fine on proof-of-stake it looks to me like there is a real possibility that BTC will simply stop and ledger activity move to Eth. Miners who stop many will only be able to restart for a few months, after which their facilities will be scrap. So if the coin dives too low and stays there for at least a month I wonder how they get it back on the rails.

Blockchain or (IMO) more specifically Bitcoin will be too convenient and idled miners (one by one, not whole datacenters) will come online. They really can't serve any other purpose AFAIK. And it's a deprecated capex. There was far too much speculation too fast.
At 25pJ per hash I calculate each coin costs $9,000 to mine with electricity at 5 cents / kWh. I've seen other estimates at $19k because not every miner has the most efficient ASICs. Your costs may vary, but some miners will be running in the red already even with full depreciation (those are the older ones less efficient). It is at $16,615 at the moment. If it falls further more miners are going to hurt just paying the electricity bill.

Hard money wins over inflated money, as it always has. FWIW, the USD will continue beating all other paper currencies simply because the US IC and Fed have the upper hand in nearly every nation or regional banking organization around the world. So don't look at BTC/USD.
BTC is not "hard money", as any fool can see clear as day in the past year. That has been fantasy, just like the goldbug narrative - indeed it was modelled on gold. A very simplistic concept of money which repeatedly failed in history and was abandoned in the 20th century for good reason. Money is literally a promise, not a finite object. If you get a dollar today, it buys you a dollar's worth of stuff a year from now. Or remarkably close to it, if you look at the history of money the dollar is a miracle of stability. The stability of money has nothing to do with "government printing press". The dollars are issued in practice by banks lending against assets, which is why monetary policy centers on interest rates and depositary rules. When you got a mortgage you - not the government - printed money. But it was linked to assets, which is to say linked to the size of the real economy, at least if done right. That was the genius of central banking last century. Now, it takes a lot of experience to run it right, and when interest rates go too low you have the 1% kind of inflation - the kind where 9% of the country grows its assets (peaked close to 200 trillion) while everyday prices barely move and 90% of the country sees no gains, while the 1% make out like bandits. That happens because the conventional measures of inflation exclude asset prices - of course they do - but eventually if you allow banks to issue loans as essentially free money (interest rates too low) the distortions cannot be ignored, and we get the reset we see now.

That reset shook crypto hard and some of the scams crashed down leaving other weaknesses exposed. BTC coins are gambling, not money.

You'd enjoy the book. I'd simply say that money is a medium of exchange, from seashells to Ducats to Dollars.

My opinion. All the other stuff you said is extra steps and frankly mirrors the justifications FTX/Alameda Research used internally.

Thanks, I like your explanation, simple and clear

1. Difficulty goes up and down, so mining will never cease due to unprofitability.

2. The key attribute of the blockchain technology is it's OPEN: anyone can read data, or add data using established rules and employing a root of trust. Think of a CA authority everyone can use, or a database of IoT devices that Apple, Google, Acme can use on equal footing.

3. BTC ASICs are very simple chips- large, regular, low Vt logic and a clocking source. They are binned for speed, and erratic yield is tolerated. They can go into production way before a complex SoC and pipe clean the process and start paying off the new machines. They can also be used as fab fillers if Apple or Nvidia orders slack.

Also, I’ve spoken at BTC and ETH conferences over the last years, explaining the role of silicon and Moore’s Law. They are very impressed, and hadn’t heard the story of our amazing industry.

Back