Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/can-amd-copy-idm-2-0-when-it-comes-to-x86-co-design.14113/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Can AMD copy idm 2.0 when it comes to x86 co design

Andy1299

Can Amd do what Intel is doing and let hyperscalers develop their own custom x86 with co-ip for the data center? Note this is different than amd customizing for customers

Intel is not going to let hyperscalers develop their own chips and allow them manufacture them elsewhere. They probably will work with hyperscalers to develop custom chips for them to be manufactured at Intel - which they are already more or less doing. Also my understanding is the cross licensing agreements between AMD and Intel don't even allow them to be licensed to 3rd parties for design.

Agree on
Intel is not going to let hyperscalers develop their own chips and allow them manufacture them elsewhere. They probably will work with hyperscalers to develop custom chips for them to be manufactured at Intel - which they are already more or less doing. Also my understanding is the cross licensing agreements between AMD and Intel don't even allow them to be licensed to 3rd parties for design.
Agree with the first point. On the second, what Intel implied (granted Intel has some speak issues) is that they will let customers directly change x86/ add IP blocks, which is different from today, where the customers direct intel engineers what to customize. Your last point is the really interesting one I'm trying to understand. Technically x86-64 is AMD licence to intel and original X86 is Intel to AMD but does that mean neither can let third-parties directly change x86 IP or one or none?

Agree with the first point. On the second, what Intel implied (granted Intel has some speak issues) is that they will let customers directly change x86/ add IP blocks, which is different from today, where the customers direct intel engineers what to customize. Your last point is the really interesting one I'm trying to understand. Technically x86-64 is AMD licence to intel and original X86 is Intel to AMD but does that mean neither can let third-parties directly change x86 IP or one or none?

I really don't think Intel will let Microsoft or Google or whoever design their own chips without direct involvement, so I doubt it'll be that different from the situation today. The think the difference, based on my understanding of how things work today, when Intel customizes chips for a customer it's mostly to a design spec, and I think in the future the customers may be more involved beyond providing a spec. But I still think it's going to be Intel doing the design.

My understanding of the licensing agreement between AMD and Intel is that the cross licensing is more or less exclusive. Both companies have at times tried to work around this, but it's a pretty murky issue from a legal standpoint.

Back