Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/book-about-ic-sales-engineering.1142/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Book about IC Sales Engineering

S

sasan

you may find this book useful. overview is at WIN IC DESIGNS
second edition of book will be published next year. your feedback and suggestions are needed please. Thanks.

When was this book written? The Amazon excerpt mentions PDAs which were in vogue in the 1990's, however no mention of tablets, netbooks or SmartPhones?

Hello Daniel Payne, Thank you for responding. I actually wrote this book about three years ago. However because writing is putting thoughts and ideas and experiences on paper, this book can be said was written even before PDAs. And later I was involved as an FAE with Apple's Newton, perhaps the first PDA.

You have asked a fundamental question. Namely, are the principles of IC sales engineering, application or IC technology related or dependent? And if so to what extent? I had this question myself from the very beginning when I started the book. Many people said, the book will be obsolete in a few years, because technology advances so fast. I had my doubts about spending about spending the time writing a book. After I wrote the book, I took it to DAC and asked the question from people if they thought what is in the book would apply to today technology and applications. Principles of IC sales engineering are fundamental as to be timeless. If there was a Moore's law for writing a book about IC sales engineering principles, it would perhaps have a time of two decades (or more) instead of IC Moore law of two years. please refer to the Microprocessor Sales Check List. You will see they apply whether designing into a smart phone or into a PDA. the tactics will be slightly different, but principles and strategies would not change much. Thank you once again. I would love to know your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dear Daniel Nenni, I knew I would Osbornize myself by mentioning a second edition. Sigh... Would it make a difference, if I said the second edition could be years away?

Hello Daniel Payne, I agree. The principles are the same. I did work with EDA FAEs closely as strategy to win IC designs at system companies using that EDA company tools.

Thanks for the update.

I started out at Intel designing computer chips, then moved on to EDA companies where we sold to semiconductor companies. Yes, from my perspective there are many similarities in selling hardware like microprocessors and EDA tools because both require a sales team = Sales guy (asks for the order) + Tech guy (shows the details and value).

All the best to your book.

Back