[ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AMAT cuts EUV costs

Have you looked at the portfolio of EM images of the result of the tool? They have a 20:1 directional etch and do not ruin the endwall when they extend. It also has some interesting side effects like 90% reduction in bridging, and they show a variety of other creative uses for the tool.

You should give them some credit for doing their homework, not just slam it as equivalent to some research papers of the past. Looks to me like they have added a new, useful tool to the toolbox in the fab, and they have got some pretty clean results to show.
They messed up the double patterning story so the whole thing seems shaky.
The pre-elongation rounding is unavoidable.

20:1 sounds nearly vertical like conventional etching though.

Last edited:
They messed up the double patterning story so the whole thing seems shaky.

20:1 sounds nearly vertical like conventional etching though.
The 20:1 is horizontal in this case. It seems likely both the plasma flow and the chemistry (both plasma and resist) has been tweaked to get there.

What did they mess up in the double patterning? If you are creating a layer with 1D structures and your goal is to avoid tip to tip distance limitations, this allows you to sidestep that. The only gotcha would be if the litho-friendly geometry would be short enough to give a shadow, but that seems like a rule the EDA can handle with marginal effect on density.

I would love to understand the implications that this could have on fabs demand for EUV. The presentation seems to only show use case for oval patterns, so curious how many EUV layers for N3 will this be technology be relevant for.

I would love to understand the implications that this could have on fabs demand for EUV. The presentation seems to only show use case for oval patterns, so curious how many EUV layers for N3 will this be technology be relevant for.
Unless TSMC provisioned for it years in advance and designed the layers that are only just barely double patterned for an easy swap to single exposure, it cannot be done after the fact economically. Given the fact TSMC reduced the number of EUV double patterned layers with N3 and N3E over time, it seems plausible they didn't make these provisions due to being a bit too bullish on the economics they could achieve with their current lithographic capabilities.

The 20:1 is horizontal in this case. It seems likely both the plasma flow and the chemistry (both plasma and resist) has been tweaked to get there.

What did they mess up in the double patterning? If you are creating a layer with 1D structures and your goal is to avoid tip to tip distance limitations, this allows you to sidestep that. The only gotcha would be if the litho-friendly geometry would be short enough to give a shadow, but that seems like a rule the EDA can handle with marginal effect on density.
The SALELE approach has been around for a while, so tip-to-tip is not handled like that.

In fact, the starting tips are still round, there would still be expansion other than longitudinal.

It's seems more presented as being an alternative to High-NA EUV, when actually they are competing against cutting. But in fact, ovals don't have a well-defined CD to base on. Straight features have the edge which can be preserved.

Unless TSMC provisioned for it years in advance and designed the layers that are only just barely double patterned for an easy swap to single exposure, it cannot be done after the fact economically. Given the fact TSMC reduced the number of EUV double patterned layers with N3 and N3E over time, it seems plausible they didn't make these provisions due to being a bit too bullish on the economics they could achieve with their current lithographic capabilities.
The lower metals, vias had much smaller pitch, so were not single patterned. The middle layers appear to have been converted to single, maybe relaxed pitch or simpler layout.

I thought since it compensates for EUV stochastic errors, then it would make EUV more practical and therefore more widely used.
Given that rounded features are more sensitive to such random deformation errors, since the edge plays a larger role, it would seem to aggravate the issue.
Stochastic vias.png

Last edited:
It's seems more presented as being an alternative to High-NA EUV, when actually they are competing against cutting. But in fact, ovals don't have a well-defined CD to base on. Straight features have the edge which can be preserved.
Sorry for my lack of technical knowledge but what do you mean by cutting?

A bit of marketing hyperbole...just a selective etch tool..not a "patterning" tool...not enabling, just cheaper...only replaces some, limited double patterning..similar to other existing technology...can only "etch" what EUV "patterns"......https://conta.cc/3YmtxFk

AMAT isn't really addressing the tip-to-tip or starting feature lithography difficulty. Also, Intel is claiming to want bidirectional metal layers, how would this work for them.

The lower metals, vias had much smaller pitch, so were not single patterned. The middle layers appear to have been converted to single, maybe relaxed pitch or simpler layout.
That was my point (although it was probably poorly articulated). The lower metals were already locked in stone and the middle layers got hasty conversions to larger pitchs. If TSMC planned to insert this tool into their process flow to replace double patterned layers with LEE layers on N3E, I don't think we would be seeing such a substantial density hit. But who knows I could totally be off base here and maybe that is exactly what happened.

AMAT isn't really addressing the tip-to-tip or starting feature lithography difficulty. Also, Intel is claiming to want bidirectional metal layers, how would this work for them.
Maybe they are using paternshapping for lower metal vias (if that is even plausible for this technology)? Unless my understanding of the tech is wrong, I assume you can use it for removing bridge defects even with birectional rules given how short that etch probably is relative to a pattern shaping etch? Put another way maybe the bridges are small enough that the ion ribbon can cut it and scan past before it meaningfully upsets the intended pattern shape. But that is way beyond my knowledge so I am curious what you think of my hairbrained idea?

Maybe they are using paternshapping for lower metal vias (if that is even plausible for this technology)? Unless my understanding of the tech is wrong, I assume you can use it for removing bridge defects even with birectional rules given how short that etch probably is relative to a pattern shaping etch? Put another way maybe the bridges are small enough that the ion ribbon can cut it and scan past before it meaningfully upsets the intended pattern shape. But that is way beyond my knowledge so I am curious what you think of my hairbrained idea?
TSMC also touched upon this idea (US20210096473). For obstructed trenches maybe the descums might already be targeted? But not for merged trenches.

Last edited:
Back