Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/airlines-warn-of-catastrophic-crisis-when-new-5g-service-is-deployed.15332/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Airlines warn of 'catastrophic' crisis when new 5G service is deployed

I don't understand this, I have a 5G hot spot and use it with a 5G connection all the time, I have three 5G capable phones as well. 5G has been "turned on" for a long time.

5G service isn't just one set of frequencies. Rather, there are a number of different bands, used to support various distances and user densities (think driving in your car vs sitting in a stadium with 50,000 people). The band VZ/AT&T is looking to enable is one that supports longer distances.

Many years ago I ran a wafer fab and we had multiple incidents of a cell phone ringing near a piece of equipment and the equipment going into pump down. It was only certain phones and our group used Nextel phones for internal communications and never had an issue. We made all visitors turn off their phones.

I was thinking of this the other day. While we get hammered with "Turn of your cellphone and electronic devices..." on every flight, how many people actually turn off (or put their phone/computer in Airplane Mode)? I'm sure many just close their screen and put the device in their pocket/bag. These devices (especially phones) are constantly screaming out "I'm here!", looking for a tower to connect. And they actually ramp up their RF power when they get no answer.

Cell towers really don't transmit at much more effective power than a cell phone does. If they did, your phone would try to connect to that tower which could never be able to receive the signal. All of those cell phones are *much* closer to the airplane's avionics than the tower is, yet the FAA isn't having the airlines confiscating phones before the flight. So the phones on the airplane isn't an issue. Not sure why the lower effective powered signal from the cell towers are.

I was thinking of this the other day. While we get hammered with "Turn of your cellphone and electronic devices..." on every flight, how many people actually turn off (or put their phone/computer in Airplane Mode)? I'm sure many just close their screen and put the device in their pocket/bag. These devices (especially phones) are constantly screaming out "I'm here!", looking for a tower to connect. And they actually ramp up their RF power when they get no answer.

Cell towers really don't transmit at much more effective power than a cell phone does. If they did, your phone would try to connect to that tower which could never be able to receive the signal. All of those cell phones are *much* closer to the airplane's avionics than the tower is, yet the FAA isn't having the airlines confiscating phones before the flight. So the phones on the airplane isn't an issue. Not sure why the lower effective powered signal from the cell towers are.
I'm wondering with all the discussion around the "unintentional" consequence of 5G signals, do Airlines, aerospace manufactures, and government agencies prepare for those intentional attacks? Do they implement necessary integrity checking, anti interference, and secured communion capabilities across all airplanes and traffic control systems?

Last edited:
(Professional) Mentour Pilot has posted a video explaining in detail on how 5G could affect aircraft:

~6:37 shows/discusses technical impact

- He also references a Turkish Airline flight #1951 that crashed due to incorrect Altimeter altitudes read by the autopilot (in 2009).
- He indicated one solution is not enabling 5G within 2 miles of an airport
- He talks about other mitigations - landing types, plane testing, etc later on in the video
- In the comments, it's mentioned that the 5G frequencies in the rest of the world are slightly lower than the ones auctioned off in the US.
- One last comment - someone noted that radio altimeters were designed as they "forever assumed they do not need to guard against interference". Not sure if true but seems like an opportunity.

I worry a bit about how much detail is starting to get shared on this issue given the security considerations of sharing how to "mess with" instruments that autopilots use to try to fly and land planes..

Back