[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AI in Medical

Arthur Hanson

This is but one example of the disruption semis and AI are creating in medical. Vinod Khosla was right, doctors will be largely replaced by AI systems in diagnostics as will happen in many fields. Dealing with the accelerating economic disruption caused by tech is going to be a major challenge, just look at fracking for oil that uses semis/mems has caused in the world economy, bringing massive economic wave roiling the world's markets.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/...tter-way-to-diagnose-malaria/#/set/id/600798/

Last edited by a moderator:
You hear people say that automation and AI will lead to new jobs. I think they will, but those jobs will be fewer in number and require much smarter people. I am afraid we're rapidly reaching a point where the average person will simply not have the mental horsepower necessary to perform these new jobs.

Nice find Arthur. Agreed deep reasoning/recognition will be a good diagnostic tool. But I don't agree this will replace doctors, any more that blood pressure/oxygen tools or X-rays can replace doctors. Better diagnostics make diagnosis faster, potentially more accurate and certainly more consistent but you still need an expert to make the call on corrective actions and to ensure the diagnosis didn't miss other relevant factors. EDA didn't replace designers, it just made them able to do more. Same here.

As far as diagnostics machine vision and sensors of all types are totally superior to ours and when coupled with data bases of staggering size will be able to out diagnose doctors most of the time and leverage great doctors to such an extent that they can reduce their demand by a very large amount. A technician will be able to replace much of what the doctors now do at a fraction of the cost. This probably won't happen for our government is owned by the grossly over priced and inefficient medical establishment that uses excess regulation to protect itself. This is why we rank 37th in quality at an average of four times the price.

Better diagnostics make diagnosis faster, potentially more accurate and certainly more consistent but you still need an expert to make the call on corrective actions and to ensure the diagnosis didn't miss other relevant factors. EDA didn't replace designers, it just made them able to do more. Same here.

Not only faster diagnostics but I do think health tech can also lower the times you need to go on consultation to a doctor. Similar like HLS EDA tools allowing people to design chips or hardware acceleration without ever having seen a line of RTL code.

Staf, I agree with you 100%. The problem in the US is not getting the job done efficiently and economically with state of the art procedures and practices, but corruption at every step of the process. The US supreme court gave corporations and individuals the right of unlimited political contributions that have become nothing more than thinly veiled bribes. I just hope corruption doesn't destroy our tech sector, like the FBI going after Apple when they didn't even respond to repeated intelligence provided on the 911 hijackers by a retired US fighter pilot (some of the world's most highly trained people at staggering expense). The FBI has severe problems I had an inside look at by being a close friend of the head of the local FBI office. I spent at least a few thousand hours in his house and was also his sons close friend. His son told me he talked to me more than him. He represented what I consider the finest law officer I ever met and he realized the FBI had serious problems. I hope for the sake of Silicon Valley Tim Cook and Apple win for all of us.

Back