Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/ai-beats-doctors-again-spotting-breast-cancer.10941/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

AI Beats Doctors Again, Spotting Breast Cancer

Arthur Hanson

In area after area AI is proving better at diagnostics than doctors who spend 60 plus percent of their time doing diagnostics. In this case it's spotting breast cancer. Just like many other manual jobs that were largely automated much of what doctors and the medical labs do can be automated to greatly reduce costs. The only problem with this is special interests that do everything to protect their turf. Also as the data bases get bigger, the accuracy can be increased. In many areas the increasing penetration of AI will take hold for saying you can out process AI is like someone saying they can outrun their car. The US needs to change approval processes to not only speed up care and increase accuracy, but dramatically lower costs. Much of these test could easily be done by a technician especially if incorporating augmented reality. Ai/ML, automation, data bases, robotics are right on the verge of revolutionizing medical, increasing quality and speed while lowering costs dramatically if regulatory barriers are removed. The market for semis/mems/nanotech in this area is staggering world wide and will grow as new uses are found and be an important part of when robotics actually take over physical task, like a machine that already does full blood tests from actually drawing the blood to testing it.

Google’s AI is better at spotting advanced breast cancer than pathologists - MIT Technology Review

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately, I would expect that hospitals that adopt an AI-based diagnosis approach will increase their costs to consumers, not reduce costs because that is not in their profit interests.

Unfortunately, I would expect that hospitals that adopt an AI-based diagnosis approach will increase their costs to consumers, not reduce costs because that is not in their profit interests.

Daniel, I agree with you 100%, medical has become 100% about money in this country. Sadly, this extends to almost every corner of medical in this country, it's all about maximizing profit, like many other businesses, but almost totally without cost controls like are levied on other necessities like power and water. Quality of care is an afterthought. An industrial engineer and others I know who have worked in the field have said the medical culture has almost no concept of efficiency and cost control from basic structure architecture. Also many in the field consider themselves saints and therefore experts on everything, leading to massive inefficiency and waste. Almost everything in medical is over priced, just by putting the words medical on it. Change will definitely have to come from the outside, US medical is a proven failure in quality and cost resulting is being one of the main caused of bankruptcy and maybe even the destruction of the USA with the huge debt it's running up and the Pentagon ruling debt the greatest threat to the country. US medical may achieve what no enemy has, the destruction of the US through bad economics at every step of the process. Self responsibility has to be part of the package, for backing and supporting bad habits has also caused much of the problem with obesity topping 35% in this country. Why should we all subsidize deliberate, high risk behaviors?

The fact that the US ranks 37th in care at the world's highest cost, tells us the US has a severe problem with the corruption that allows a severe aberration like this to come into being.

Just like some companies have monitors for driving, the fitness tracker may be the next wave for insurance discounts. With your biking your obviously in 10 condition all other factors being equal. I have developed a very low cost, high performance diet and have a very unusual make up, having grown an inch at 45 and another inch sometime after 60(I'm told it's rare, but not unheard of, I do highly accurate measures laying on the floor with my feet against the wall and a box at my head.). Almost all the food I buy is at the commercial Costco purchased in bulk, like 70 plus pounds of frozen vegetables a month for my wife and I.

Last edited:
Back