Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/3d-printing-for-home-or-industry.5456/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

3D printing for home or industry?

Tom Simon

I am waiting for my first 3D printer to arrive in March. I contributed to the Kickstarter for Micro3D, a $350 3D printer for home use. But it seems that the bigger push in 3D printing will take place in industry. I've see announcements from HP on a 3D printer for commercial use. But by far the most impressive announcement I have seen is the one from GE.

View attachment 13155

They are going to 3D print the fuel injector for their new LEAP jet engine. This is a complex part that cannot be made using any other manufacturing process. It is solid metal and built to exacting specifications. Here is an article about their use of 3D printing.

hqdefault.jpg

"Hey, dude, where did u get this car:confused:"
Dude: "Errrrrrrr, I printed it just now. :cool:"
"Cool. Do u feel safe there?"
Dude: "Of course, safe and comfortable. I made it myself."
"Wow, did you get ur license?"
Dude: "What license, do I have to print it?:rolleyes:"
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

3D printing technology is just in its infancy and will advance far faster than previous tech revolutions for all the support technologies are advancing at a far faster rate than just ten years ago. The processor power, number of research projects, the budgets, degree of collaboration and many other factors are now larger and more advanced to support a faster adoption than previous tech revolutions and the next revolution, what ever it is, will be even faster. Geometric progression is picking up speed and increasing the improvement in everything. We will have to be careful for the social, environmental and unknown dangers are also increasing at a dramatic rate, just like hacking and viruses.

The worldwide 3D printing industry is expected to grow from $3.07B in revenue in 2013 to $12.8B by 2018, and exceed $21B in worldwide revenue by 2020. As it evolves, 3D printing technology is destined to transform almost every major industry and change the way we live, work, and play in the future.

Back