Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/2000-europeans-plus-a-few-hundred-tsmc-assignees-will-this-go-well.20499/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

2000 Europeans plus a few hundred TSMC assignees. Will this go well?

28nm-12nm is much easier than 5nm, but we already know even at TSMC Washington the old WaferTech it is still old school TSMC.

Hard to believe a 1/3 or even lower ratio will work or meet TSMC standards.

The labor force in Dresden is most likely more sophisticated and competent than in Camas, WA where TSMC Washington is located.

The labor force in Dresden is most likely more sophisticated and competent than in Camas, WA where TSMC Washington is located.
Not a question of capability!

Ready to check their phones in, be tracked when they come to work, when they leave and accept the ordering top down from Taiwanese managers. Or will TSMC be radically and experiment with local culture management and norms?

When I worked at a plating shop one of our equipment / chemical vendors was Autotech, a German company. If TSMC thinks that working with Americans was difficult I can't wait to see how they deal with German labor. The Germans I worked with were pretty adamant about hourly work limits for exempt employees, 4 weeks of paid vacation from day one and many more state holidays than U.S. employees received.

When I worked at a plating shop one of our equipment / chemical vendors was Autotech, a German company. If TSMC thinks that working with Americans was difficult I can't wait to see how they deal with German labor. The Germans I worked with were pretty adamant about hourly work limits for exempt employees, 4 weeks of paid vacation from day one and many more state holidays than U.S. employees received.

Those situations are all true. But I'm always wondering why German automakers are still building and selling cars very well.

Oh, I'm not saying the German's weren't good workers. I'm just saying that they display all the characteristics that TSMC seems to view as "bad" in spades. They aren't going to work long hours for peanuts and won't appreciate the "just do as you are told and you might eventually figure out why" mentality that all the TSMC in Arizona articles I've seen seem to portray.

Back