Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/apple-tsm-nvidia-to-dominate-ai-ml.18110/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Apple, TSM, Nvidia to dominate AI/ML

Arthur Hanson

Apple with their VR goggles is just the first step of creating the largest ecosystem interfacing AI/ML with the real world. This will extend to all Apple devices including the phone with its camara and microphone and other devices they create. Apple is about ecosystems, not just single products and this is their move to dominate AI/ML interfaces with the real world. Apple doesn't see the limits other organizations do and sees possibilities others don't see or have the resources to execute. This could be the birth of the greatest ecosystem in human history. TSM and Apple have become true partners in this effort with no real competition in this effort to create whole new ecosystem worlds. Nvidia will be the third partner in this tremendous effort The big question is what's next?

Don't you see any contradiction between Apple's closed (walled garden) world of devices and applications and this talk of ecosystems ? Apple's approach is very much "cathedral", while TSMC's is far more "bazaar" (to draw on The Cathedral and the Bazaar essay).

I haven't been following the latest Apple news (my teenage son will doubtless update me shortly), but I don't yet have the sense that TSMC has decided to start picking winners amongst its customers or creating exclusive ecosystems within its own broad ecosystem.

Again, perhaps I missed the news, but you seem to be implying that nVidia will somehow partner with Apple and TSMC. What products or services would that result in ? Or am I somehow missing your point ?

Surgery would be just one field with the vision system first directing and aiding doctors and eventually directing robotic surgery. It will also be key in medical diagnostics which consumes forty percent of a doctors time. It will also aid in the service and repair of just about anything. It will also enable people who aren't experts to do repairs to devices and even emergency medical. These are just a few of the many examples we will see. This technology will open up whole new frontiers as new and novel uses are created.

The imaginary uses are always wonderful. The reality is a pass-thru video system like Oculus, with a polished UX and more beautiful exterior. It would not work for surgeons since the focal plane is fixed and it does not give true see-thru. For $3,000 you can call an expert for your home repairs many times, and besides it will not be keyed to your actual home layout. Industrial uses with properly prepared visuals and matching actual workplace may work, if the pass-thru vision is acceptable. That was one field of application Hololens worked at similar prices, but it had true see-through.

Experiences in the metaverse look great, but will they translate to commercial success in the real world? Oculus does gaming just fine at 1/3rd the price, and that remains the largest proven market.

Apple with their VR goggles is just the first step of creating the largest ecosystem interfacing AI/ML with the real world. This will extend to all Apple devices including the phone with its camara and microphone and other devices they create. Apple is about ecosystems, not just single products and this is their move to dominate AI/ML interfaces with the real world. Apple doesn't see the limits other organizations do and sees possibilities others don't see or have the resources to execute. This could be the birth of the greatest ecosystem in human history. TSM and Apple have become true partners in this effort with no real competition in this effort to create whole new ecosystem worlds. Nvidia will be the third partner in this tremendous effort The big question is what's next?

Apple is not an AI company, and I fail to see how this device changes it. Only someone who wants to pump the stock would relate those things. Apple needs developers, presenting this device while apps are not ready has Steve Ballmer written all over it.

Also, the line about Apple doesn't have the limitations that other companies have, is utter nonsense. Facebook is in many ways ahead of this Apple product which was delayed for hears and needs external batteries.

Also the Apple car never came to fruition yet.

Which points to the next thing: Surgeons or those who repair a nuclear facility are not going to use these goggles, because Apple is an immature company (like Microsoft and most IT / smartphone companies) who cannot deal with liability.

Car makers and now even Tesla can do this, but last time Apple screwed up they blamed their customers, which was antenna gate.

In case of crashed cars, airplanes who are not properly repaired or failed surgeries, such behaviour will never be tolerated by a judge. And Apple doesn't have the culture to deal with this liability.

They are all about vendor lockin, these goggles are nice, but AI or being held liable for their products is not what they are good at. Maybe their wait and see / copy the winner approach will pay of, like their iPhone copy of the LG Prada I believe it was. Who knows. But they are no trendsetters in AI, merely followers.

Worth a look:

Current developments are about circumventing CUDA to break Nvidia's vendor lockin (Pytorch 2), and using Facebook 's LLama models and derivatives to circumvent Microsoft's (sponsored) ChatGPT proprietary model / weights.

There are Llama algorithms which are open source, 8x less parameters so much cheaper and more energy efficient to train than the 20B ChatGPT (or 175B for GPT3).

Some models were created for $8-$100, meaning no more need for astronomically expensive GPU farms. Its the democratisation of AI and has been dubbed the 'stable diffusion moment' of LM's. Also for stable diffusion I am reading about 50% improvement for AMD recently, which is faster than improvementfor NVIDIA (which is however still far ahead of AMD).

Basically, the market has enough of NVidia's monopoly and prices, like what happened to Intel, but also how hw accelerators made it less necessary to buy expensive CPU's. For competition to threaten NVidia, It will take a few years, like Ryzen vs Xeon or ASIC miners vs NVidia GPU mining, but it is bound to happen.
Exactly because NVIDIA uses TSMC, they don't have a process benefit because the competition can use it as well.

I too am very bullish on the TSMC / Apple synergy and the AI/ML possibilities. I'd love to hear more on two topics. 1) The newly announced Mac Pro with expansion slots for AI/ML. Will AI/ML developers start to use it? 2) The N1 chip. What silicon process? Does is provide the kind of power/performance breakthroughs that we saw in the M-series chips?

Back