Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/dutch-export-rules-on-china-in-focus-ahead-of-asml-results.17359/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Dutch export rules on China in focus ahead of ASML results

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
* Government expected to impose new limits on ASML sales to China
* ASML generates 15% of its sales in China
* Expected to report record Q4 sales on Jan. 25

AMSTERDAM, Jan 20 (Reuters) - Expectations that the Dutch government will further limit sales to China by chip equipment giant ASML Holding NV may overshadow what are expected to be strong fourth quarter results due next week.

The Hague is expected to impose at least some additional restrictions on ASML's exports to China, a Dutch government source familiar with security discussions between the United States and Netherlands told Reuters, though they could not give a timeframe.

ASML, a key supplier to chipmakers, generates about 15% of its sales in China, an important growth market even after it was restricted from selling its most advanced machines there under U.S. pressure in 2019.

Tensions between Washington and Beijing over semiconductors have since steadily worsened.

Washington in October imposed export restrictions on its own chip equipment companies aimed at hobbling China's ability to make chips and to blunt its military progress.

U.S. officials say they expect the Netherlands to follow suit.

The Dutch foreign trade minister did not signal going along so easily:

“Obviously in order to have the [semiconductor] value chain still in place, we need open trade,” said Schreinemacher during a panel discussion on the lessons to be learned from semiconductor supply shocks. She also said that big-ticket government subsidies were not her “definition of open trade”. “I know this area is under a lot of pressure internationally, but I will be fighting for open trade and prevent protectionism,” said Schreinemacher.

Last edited:
Is that lack of understanding or another case of corruption?

ASML can achieve utilization over 100% purely with western fab capacity buildup.
On the other hand, ASML is already losing markets thanks to cheap compatible copies of lithography machines from china.

And most importantly, They are ignoring that chinese goal is not free-trade. They are ignoring that chinese goal is self-sufficiency (war resistant economy). That means that ASML will lose this market anyway. Question is only whether will they hand over all their IP for free.

By the way, there is no need to pressure Japan. Chinese missiles falling into Japanese territories are effective enough.

Is that lack of understanding or another case of corruption?

ASML can achieve utilization over 100% purely with western fab capacity buildup.
On the other hand, ASML is already losing markets thanks to cheap compatible copies of lithography machines from china.

And most importantly, They are ignoring that chinese goal is not free-trade. They are ignoring that chinese goal is self-sufficiency (war resistant economy). That means that ASML will lose this market anyway. Question is only whether will they hand over all their IP for free.
...unless ASML is getting some parts from China itself.

The key question is whether Chinese fabs are able to sustain their use of the advanced equipment they have so far.

With an apparent announced retreat to mature nodes, it is not clear even in that case how long it can be sustained.

Last edited:
I perceive, my opinion, 4 steps to a cycle: 1) Sell stuff to China 2) China reverse engineers it 3) A Chinese competitor emerges 4) Now you don’t sell stuff to China, China sells your stuff to everyone.

ASML is/was in stage 1, the nice stage. Why do we think stage 1 will last? Why is high technology trade with China still a thing?

Last edited:
I perceive, my opinion, 4 steps to a cycle: 1) Sell stuff to China 2) China reverse engineers it 3) A Chinese competitor emerges 4) Now you don’t sell stuff to China, China sells your stuff to everyone.

ASML is/was in stage 1, the nice stage. I wonder sometimes, why would ASML sell to China? Can’t they see how this ends?
I can see the cycle you describe happening in consumer goods, perhaps even airliners (COMAC), but can you name even one example where it's happened in chip design or manufacturing? Huawei, for example, perhaps China's best example of a high-tech manufacturer, developed their own products. They often used other technologies in their products, like Android to name one, but they don't seem to me to be an example of your cycle. Many Huawei products were just good, to my knowledge. Their telecom equipment is not trusted due the perception that the Chinese government can control them and use their equipment to spy on other countries, but by all accounts they are lower-priced and good performers, and not copies or derivatives.

Their telecom equipment is not trusted due the perception that the Chinese government can control them and use their equipment to spy on other countries

Which country oustside of the west don't trust Huawei?I saw this video interview,they talked about that so far the US has not been successful in persuade countries of the global south to abandon Huawei. Americans warn them that China will spy them via Huawei hardware,they reply:so what?the US will also spy them if they use western hardware. To these countries,it makes no difference whether it's US or China spy on them. And since they will get spied anyway,they will just choose the cheaper option

And yes,real high-tech product contains many know-how which can not be easily copied

Last edited:
It is more complicated...

China is borrowing them lot of money trough Belt and road (or similar projects) under rough conditions. And any infrastructure co-financed this way MUST be build on chinese platforms (by chinese workers). So it is not like they want great chinese 5G networks in rural Kenya. This is their only option if they want accessible loans and spreading propaganda against west is part of their agreement.

And of course, it is only temporally, because it is just debt trap and countries are falling into bankruptcy or hard nationalism... It is actually very sad and dirty...

Huawei, for example, perhaps China's best example of a high-tech manufacturer, developed their own products.
Seriously? :D For example Cisco right at begining. Or 4G/5G base stations strangely similar to western parts... Or in consumer segment often making exact copies of Apple and others..
Their telecom equipment is not trusted due the perception that the Chinese government can control them and use their equipment to spy on other countries,
I think they have law for that.
Plus there was huge crackdown lately and basically every bigger company have CCP officials in board.
... but by all accounts they are lower-priced and good performers, and not copies or derivatives.
Actually, it was only until they were sponsored by CCP. But right after they gained dominant position, they greatly increased prices...

Huawei in EU failed because they were just too expensive. Nobody wanted to pay 1300€ for their phones. And Xiaomi is in similar position. Samsung just offers better value.
Actually lot of people here believe, that Iphone SE/11/12 offers better value than Xiaomi.

It is more complicated...

China is borrowing them lot of money trough Belt and road (or similar projects) under rough conditions. And any infrastructure co-financed this way MUST be build on chinese platforms (by chinese workers). So it is not like they want great chinese 5G networks in rural Kenya. This is their only option if they want accessible loans and spreading propaganda against west is part of their agreement.
I agree, but their infrastructure escapades aren't related to my comment.
Seriously? :D For example Cisco right at begining. Or 4G/5G base stations strangely similar to western parts... Or in consumer segment often making exact copies of Apple and others..
Huawei is not alone... the US company Arista Networks had to pay Cisco $400M to settle a copyright infringement case. And Arista also lost a jury trial for infringing on 14 Cisco patents.

Which Apple products were copied exactly by Huawei (or any company in China)?
I think they have law for that'
Yes, China does. That law appears to be at the root of the US government's lack of trust in Huawei.
Plus there was huge crackdown lately and basically every bigger company have CCP officials in board.

Actually, it was only until they were sponsored by CCP. But right after they gained dominant position, they greatly increased prices...

Huawei in EU failed because they were just too expensive. Nobody wanted to pay 1300€ for their phones. And Xiaomi is in similar position. Samsung just offers better value.
Actually lot of people here believe, that Iphone SE/11/12 offers better value than Xiaomi.
That's news to me. Can you point to links regarding these price increases?

Last edited:
Absolutely. Ever heard of Edward Snowden?
They're not equivalent. The NSA was illegally tapping phone systems in the US, not in foreign countries. And the NSA was tapping into cloud computing companies' datacenters - with the assistance of the cloud companies, and monitoring the internet traffic and cloud storage that went through those datacenters of, well, anyone they felt like who was using those clouds. Including people from outside the US, apparently. Snowden leaked all of this, and supposedly the NSA is now better behaved. Supposedly.

What the US government is accusing Huawei of is allowing the Chinese government to monitor people in other countries via telecom equipment housed in the foreign countries, via secret hardware and software backdoors. And apparently the existence of these backdoors have been verified, but I'm not fully convinced. I remember when Bloomberg was saying that China was implanting secret chips on Supermicro motherboards, and there was no definitive proof of that revealed either. Given the policies of the Chinese government I could believe they ordered these backdoor capabilities, but extraordinary claims require solid evidence.

You need a better analogy.

Really?According to statistics,Xiaomi and Realme's market share increased in 2022 Q3 in Europe

They're not equivalent. The NSA was illegally tapping phone systems in the US, not in foreign countries. And the NSA was tapping into cloud computing companies' datacenters - with the assistance of the cloud companies, and monitoring the internet traffic and cloud storage that went through those datacenters of, well, anyone they felt like who was using those clouds. Including people from outside the US, apparently. Snowden leaked all of this, and supposedly the NSA is now better behaved. Supposedly.

Ever heard of the story of US intelligence agency tapping european leaders ?That's just a tip of iceberg of US worldwide surveillance system

This is a story of a CIA controlled company selling hardwares with backdoor all over the globe for over half a century already

What the US government is accusing Huawei of is allowing the Chinese government to monitor people in other countries via telecom equipment housed in the foreign countries, via secret hardware and software backdoors. And apparently the existence of these backdoors have been verified, but I'm not fully convinced. I remember when Bloomberg was saying that China was implanting secret chips on Supermicro motherboards, and there was no definitive proof of that revealed either. Given the policies of the Chinese government I could believe they ordered these backdoor capabilities, but extraordinary claims require solid evidence.

The US is so worried about Huawei products,is because CIA can not implement backdoor on it,thus America will lose lots of intelligence

Last edited:
Back