[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TW local elections

Paul2

It seems that Greens didn't score a change, if not slid a bit.

Tsai has announced her resignation as a DPP's chair.

I have a distant feeling that blue will be less generous with the industry in their localities. Greens were always strong around Hsinchu, and south in general.

Surely the KMT understands as well as anyone just how important the semi industry is to taiwan. They would have to be braindead to pull support at a time like this.

From what I have read thus far the DPP (Green) leaned a little too much on the China situation creating fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Taiwan's future. KMT (Blue) is pro China relations so it was a safer bet. China even stepped up military incursions to support the KMT in the pre election run up.

Personally I think the Taiwan president's undoing was the visits from US politicians, Pelosi being the worst one. It really was unnecessary. US politics is a dirty business unlike Taiwan's and most other countries around the world.

I think the most interesting story is the new mayor of Taipei Wayne Chiang. He worked at Wilson Sonsini here in Silicon Valley doing VC work.

"Chiang Wan-an was a teenager when his father sat him down to tell him about his heritage: he’s the great-grandson of Chiang Kai-shek, the Chinese Nationalist leader who fought Mao Zedong’s Communists forces before fleeing to Taiwan and ruled it with an iron fist."

He could change the face of the KMT, absolutely.

My understanding from Taiwanese people is that being pro unification is political suicide in Taiwan especially among the newer generation that sees itself as Taiwanese rather then Chinese as the older generation does. Neither of the parties are pro unification at this point so voters were frustrated with the DPP making the Chinese unification a primary issue instead of actual governance and policy. People saw it as a deflection from actual issues towards an issue that doesn’t need to be debated because Taiwanese are already pretty unified on the idea of not unifying with the mainland at this point. This is all anecdotal from what I heard from a friend who is from taiwan.

Last edited:
From what I have read thus far the DPP (Blue) leaned a little too much on the China situation creating fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Taiwan's future. KMT (Green) is pro China relations so it was a safer bet. China even stepped up military incursions to support the KMT in the pre election run up.

Personally I think the Taiwan president's undoing was the visits from US politicians, Pelosi being the worst one. It really was unnecessary. US politics is a dirty business unlike Taiwan's and most other countries around the world.

I think the most interesting story is the new mayor of Taipei Wayne Chiang. He worked at Wilson Sonsini here in Silicon Valley doing VC work.

"Chiang Wan-an was a teenager when his father sat him down to tell him about his heritage: he’s the great-grandson of Chiang Kai-shek, the Chinese Nationalist leader who fought Mao Zedong’s Communists forces before fleeing to Taiwan and ruled it with an iron fist."

KMT (both pro-unification, and anti-unification) is blue, DPP and NPP are green.

Old promises lose appeal with new generation. Young Taiwanese don't want to retake mainland for them not having a historical humiliation trauma of KMT veterans, nor do they have ambitions for exploiting the lebensraum as post-war KMT did.

LOW turnouts on the other hand are bigger news. Post nineties Taiwan was always very political about everything, the civil war was replayed during every evening conversation in a pub. People were very divided. Divisions have subsided, and so did the turnout.

Last edited:
Surely the KMT understands as well as anyone just how important the semi industry is to taiwan. They would have to be braindead to pull support at a time like this.

One of Blue bloc promise has been exactly to pull "disproportionate" subsidies from industrialists.

They always played on Chen's "oligarch friendliness"

One of Blue bloc promise has been exactly to pull "disproportionate" subsidies from industrialists.

Couldn't think of a worse time to do it considering all the government money flowing to build fabs outside of Taiwan. Really not a good idea for Taiwan IMO.

From what I have read thus far the DPP (Green) leaned a little too much on the China situation creating fear, uncertainty, and doubt about Taiwan's future. KMT (Blue) is pro China relations so it was a safer bet. China even stepped up military incursions to support the KMT in the pre election run up.

So if he steeped in Anti-Communism how does that make them pro-unification.

Or is it on the basis that CCP no longer in power in the PRC?

KMT was the one who initiated TW's semiconductor industry back in 80s,TSMC wouldn't be in today's position without the help of KMT

KMT (both pro-unification, and anti-unification) is blue, DPP and NPP are green.

Old promises lose appeal with new generation. Young Taiwanese don't want to retake mainland for them not having a historical humiliation trauma of KMT veterans, nor do they have ambitions for exploiting the lebensraum as post-war KMT did.

LOW turnouts on the other hand are bigger news. Post nineties Taiwan was always very political about everything, the civil war was replayed during every evening conversation in a pub. People were very divided. Divisions have subsided, and so did the turnout.

I guess the question is if the KMT pro unification is stronger than the KMT anti unification? When reading about it the key phrase is "stronger China ties" not necessarily unification. I'm assuming there is a difference? Or is stronger ties a code phrase for unification?

I guess the question is if the KMT pro unification is stronger than the KMT anti unification? When reading about it the key phrase is "stronger China ties" not necessarily unification. I'm assuming there is a difference? Or is stronger ties a code phrase for unification?
I thought the KMT was pro one China, but not under the current state of affairs? I thought they explicitly said that they don't want to be condemned to the same slow death that Macau and Hong Kong have/are facing.

I think people often over simplified the groupings of political leanings in Taiwan. The majority of the KMT supporters are anti CCP but pro unification. Their inspirations of the reunification and the precondition of the reunification is when one day mainland China turns into a democratic system. People can laugh at it as a pipe dream. But until 1990 it was a pipe dream for East and West Germany's reunification and a pipe dream for most East European countries to regain independence from Russia's iron control.

The way they want to maintain a stable relationship with PRC (not necessarily equate to "stronger China ties") is no different from Apple or Intel's desire to maintain a good relationship with PRC. In 2021, mainland China is the number one export destination ($126 billion) and number one import source ($82 billion) for Taiwan. In 2021 Taiwan's export to US was $66 billion and US export to Taiwan was $39 billion. You can tell the drastic difference in terms of the trading volume between mainland China/Taiwan and US/Taiwan.

Few people will accuse US government, Apple, Intel, or Tesla are CCP's sympathizers when they want to do more business with mainland China. But when Taiwan's government or businesses want to maintain good/stable relationship with mainland China in order to maintain or gain more business, many western reporters and analysts will rush to label them as pro Communist AND pro reunification.

It's very strange right? But after seeing so many funny semiconductor analysis from many "experts" or reporters, I'm not surprised by this funny political labeling anymore.

Last edited:
Back