[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

1400-1500 chips in new cars

Arthur Hanson

Automation of everything is the main driver of the semi-industry and the automation of everything is upon us. I see the age of the automation of everything being the main driver of everything and AI/ML will be integrated into almost every aspect of our lives and it won't be to long until our bodies will be the next frontier for the tech industry. Wearables will increase in functionality and intelligence enabling us to leverage our own bodies in ways we haven't even imagined.

This seems crazy. It's starting to remind me of the situation where wiring complexity in cars got so large and costly that the CAN bus was created. There's got to be a way to consolidate some of these "discretes" - that's what ICs are supposed to be for after all.

This seems crazy. It's starting to remind me of the situation where wiring complexity in cars got so large and costly that the CAN bus was created. There's got to be a way to consolidate some of these "discretes" - that's what ICs are supposed to be for after all.
I'd ignore the referenced analysis. Most of the chips counted are so simple it's like counting nuts and bolts. For example, they're counting light sensors in auto-dimming mirrors, minor little control chips in a bunch of motors in automatic climate control. (Some vehicles have 10 or more motors in the climate control system.) There are numerous little EPROMs and flash chips dispersed throughout various assemblies. Power windows have little micro-controllers. Modern LCD instrument panels probably have more than 100 chips, depending on how they're counted and what's counted. Every LED light bulb has a chip in it, and every modern running light has one or more LED chips. There are probably fewer than 100 medium-to-high value chips out of 1500, and many of those will be in the entertainment system, especially in an SUV with rear seat video monitors.

Last edited:
I'd ignore the referenced analysis. Most of the chips counted are so simple it's like counting nuts and bolts. For example, they're counting light sensors in auto-dimming mirrors, minor little control chips in a bunch of motors in automatic climate control. (Some vehicles have 10 or more motors in the climate control system.) There are numerous little EPROMs and flash chips dispersed throughout various assemblies. Power windows have little micro-controllers. Modern LCD instrument panels probably have more than 100 chips, depending on how they're counted and what's counted. Every LED light bulb has a chip in it, and every modern running light has one or more LED chips. There are probably fewer than 100 medium-to-high value chips out of 1500, and many of those will be in the entertainment system, especially in an SUV with rear seat video monitors.
I agree completely, basic semis are just like nuts and bolts, just another part. Now, fully autonomous self driving which is coming is another whole matter.

I agree completely, basic semis are just like nuts and bolts, just another part. Now, fully autonomous self driving which is coming is another whole matter.
It is another matter, but nowhere near ready for use on roads shared with human drivers, cyclists, and pedestrians. ADAS (driving assist systems) are far more real, already deployed (but with mixed reviews), but they're mostly simplistic compared to autonomous self-driving. Also, new vehicles are getting expensive to the point where they are not affordable by people with median incomes. I just can't excited about FSD anytime soon as a major high-end semiconductor sales maker.

Back