[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. B

3 New Groundbreaking Chips Explained: Outperforming Moore's Law

No way IMO she's actually technical about semiconductors.
  2. B

Behind the plot to break Nvidia’s grip on AI by targeting software

I see what you're saying, but OneAPI doesn't really fit with CUDA and ROCM, because it is not GPU specific like the other two. Intel is addressing the targeted application problem with OneAPI libraries (e.g. DDN, VINO, etc), but I agree that it doesn't offer a framework tool like PyTorch...
  3. B

Fusion needed for AI

Altman's mouth is a perpetual motion machine, so maybe we can harness that power for something useful. He seldom does.
  4. B

OneAPI is based on SYCL, which is a multi-vendor industry specification. https://www.khronos.org/sycl/ OneAPI and CUDA are based on some similar concepts, such as C++ and manual memory management. CUDA supports C, C++, and Fortran, while OneAPI only appears to support Intel's open source Data...
  5. B

The UXL Foundation is the second I-Hate-Nvidia-Club to get started lately. The first was the Ultra Ethernet Consortium, which aims to displace Nvidia's InfiniBand implementation (the only viable one available). It's sort of amusing. The Ultra Ethernet Consortium is led by AMD, while UXL seems...
  6. B

Intel CEO Gelsinger proposes a fab tour for Elon Musk — could be an attempt to win orders from Tesla, other Musk companies

I still use Hotmail. Anyone who doesn't like it can... [use your imagination about what pejorative acronym I might insert here]. :p I agree with you about EV drivetrains, at least on Teslas. I think the legacy carmakers are putting more component-level complexity in their EVs. For Rivian...
  7. B

Intel to get $8.5B from the CHIPS Act

I don't have issues with any of that. No one is going to outfit a fab to have it sit 50% idle or worse. (Not to mention the mystery of where all of the EUV machines will come from.) There have been discussions about a fab glut on this site for a long time, and I don't remember anyone...
  8. B

https://www.tomshardware.com/tech-industry/semiconductors/intel-pushes-launch-date-of-ohio-fab-from-2025-to-2027-or-2028-state-politicians-remain-enthusiastic-about-progress
  9. B

We certainly have the some of the most convoluted ways of dispensing subsidies in the US. I think the Investment Tax Credit Intel mentioned relates to renewable energy infrastructure, but a search comes back with links about solar energy credits. Whatever.
  10. B

https://techcrunch.com/2024/03/20/white-house-proposes-up-to-8-5b-to-fund-intels-domestic-chip-manufacturing/
  11. B

TSMC Bulls Ignore Buffett’s Warning and Stick to AI Bet

I agree with you philosophically. I tend towards the we're-understating-the-risk end of the paranoia spectrum regarding Xi and his Taiwan agenda. My point, however, that it is illogical to worry about TSMC's share price due to China's potential actions, but keep a ginormous Apple investment...
  12. B

TSMC Bulls Ignore Buffett’s Warning and Stick to AI Bet

Warren Buffett is a smart guy, but I've never understood his geopolitical risk concerns about TSMC, sufficient to cause him to divest TSMC stock, when he holds about $175B of Apple stock. It seems silly, and I can't remember WB ever looking silly other than this situation. And it's not just...
  13. B

Biden’s big play to attract foreign chip and EV investments could be stumbling as Samsung, TSMC and others reportedly balk at high costs

Yeah, this is the dumbest, most poorly conceived part of the *implementation* of the CHIPS Act. It is not in the bill that Congress passed. This is pure Biden Administration. And I wonder... will the USG credit the fab builders for the actual losses they surely will incur while the fabs ramp...
  14. B

Intel has shelved investment in Italy, minister says

Poland is a much lower cost country than Italy, by like 60% for labor. The unionization rate is also low. I suspect these factors figured prominently into Intel's decision.
  15. B

Biden’s big play to attract foreign chip and EV investments could be stumbling as Samsung, TSMC and others reportedly balk at high costs

Your statement is correct, but in reality there is more to this. It is correct that Congress wrote the bill and Biden just signed it, but the Biden Administration's Dept of Commerce, part of the Executive branch of the USG, did add their own requirements and criteria for the allocation of...
  16. B

The new Cerebras CS-3

More information and some high-level analysis from TP Morgan, and a bit of silly talk about 450mm wafers. But Morgan is good at pumping execs for comments. https://www.nextplatform.com/2024/03/14/cerebras-goes-hyperscale-with-third-gen-waferscale-supercomputers/
  17. B

The new Cerebras CS-3

I don't know for sure, because they don't go into a lot of hardware implementation detail on their web site or in white papers, but they are using optical 100GbE, so I suspect they're using off-chip optical transceivers which are electrically close to the CS-3. I haven't seen one of their...
  18. B

Intel Appoints Stacy Smith to Board of Directors

I doubt it. The only way Pat leaves is in a coffin. He's wanted that job for most of his career.
  19. B

Intel Appoints Stacy Smith to Board of Directors

Finally, a qualified board member who actually understand how Intel works.
Back