Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?search/239785/&t=thread&c[content]=thread&c[users]=Xebec&o=date
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. X

Nvidia introduces Blackwell (800mm2 reticle limit N4P dies)

NVIDIA Blackwell powers a new era of computing, enabling organizations everywhere to build and run real-time generative AI on trillion-parameter large language models. New Blackwell GPU, NVLink and Resilience Technologies Enable Trillion-Parameter-Scale AI Models New Tensor Cores and TensorRT-...
  2. X

[I'd like to learn more] About Samsung Foundry ...

Reading these forums, articles, etc. I learn a LOT about Intel and TSMC, but I haven't quite picked up as much as I'd like on Samsung. I'm curious about a few things: - What kind of products are really driving the advanced node funding/usage at Samsung Foundry today? (3nm, 2nm) (DRAM...
  3. X

(Video) Intel receives ASML's First High NA EUV system

Neat seeing this (briefly) installed inside the Fab and the relative size vs. people prepping the area..
  4. X

Why wasn’t the “Intel Smithfield” method of two CPU dies used for 12-16 core Ryzen?

If I understand correctly, Intel used a single wafer for both single core Pentium 4 and dual core Pentium D dies. They achieved this by slicing the wafer up according to needs — two adjacent dies for Pentium D, and any single die for Pentium 4. I’m curious if this was ever considered or would...
  5. X

OT - Touring Taiwan as a Semi-enthusiast - Recommendations?

Hi there, I do not directly work in the semiconductor industry, but have been a lifelong enthusiast of all things semi. When I visited Sunnyvale CA, (and even some areas of Eastern Pennsylvania), I enjoyed seeing where the old buildings were for things like - Atari HQ, The original MOS chip...
  6. X

Intel demo’d Lunar Lake (20A) silicon today

https://www.anandtech.com/show/20061/intel-demos-lunar-lake-in-action-silicon-pulled-in-to-intel-20a Looks like Intel demo’d a working system with Lunar Lake silicon today. The system ran Windows and a ‘tightly controlled demo’, but seems to at least indicate Intel has (decently) working 20A...
  7. X

Will we ever see STMicro or GF offer 7nm-class chips?

Curious - as 7nm is becoming “older”, is there any chance we’ll see companies like STMicro or Global Foundries resume progress towards denser nodes? I saw with their newest joint fab they talked about 18nm being ‘relevant in automotive for decades’, but IMO that’s also based on legacy automaker...
  8. X

Gelsinger Fires back at Intel 3 and TSMC N3 delay rumors, Arrow Lake on 20A on track for 2024

"The 3nm programs are on track, both that with TSMC as well as our internal Intel 3 programs Granite Rapids and Sierra Forest in particular," said Gelsinger at the company's Intel Capital Allocation Update conference call. "I am somewhat amazed by some of these rumor mill discussions that come...
  9. X

What were the historical drivers of Foundry node investments for TSMC?

I know there's likely no real simple answer here, but I'm curious any way. I was just thinking that for Intel, (oversimplified) the driver for foundry progress since the early 1980s has always been Intel CPUs (and chipsets).. and a mixture of CPUs and Intel memory prior to that. (+FPGA also...
  10. X

What is the most advanced (dense?) logic process that flies in Space?

Just curious - what is considered the highest end logic process that flies in space? Do we always use ‘rad hardened designs’, or do we sometimes use OTS / commercial stuff and just a lot of shielding around it?
  11. X

A definitive fab supply chain analysis?

I know there are a lot of good articles and posts here regarding various pieces of the supply chains required to support Foundry/Chip Fab Services. I was curious are there any "all up" analyses anywhere (paid or not) that cover nearly/literally everything required to supply an operational fab...
  12. X

New iPhone 14 range - TSMC 5 and 4

Just saw the release specs for the new iPhone 14 range The base and plus models use last year’s Apple A15 — on “tsmc 5nm” (N5?), while Pro uses a newer A16 processor on “tsmc 4nm” I was a little surprised no N3 products, and only a “limited” volume for the newer A16 processor. I did not...
  13. X

Intel will bring in other capital holders to help with fab expansion

Source: Dr. Ian Cuttress on Twitter Intel announces Investment Program with Brookfield Asset Management to provide Intel with a pool of capital for manufacturing buildouts. Agreement terms, the companies will jointly invest $30B into expansion in Arizona: Intel 51%, Brookfield 49%.
  14. X

Why has 10Gbe copper ethernet taken so long to reduce cost and power usage?

I’m curious why 10gbps copper ethernet has taken so long to get “consumer cheap” compared to previous iterations. We went from 10 mbps being ‘affordable’ in the late 1980s to 100 mbps in the 1990s and 1 gbps in the ~ 2005 timeframe.. yet almost 20 years later we’re still not there with 10 gbps...
  15. X

When did engineers realize scaling below 90nm wasn't like prior scaling? (i.e. Dennard scaling ending)

I'm just curious - when did the engineers designing higher performance / leading edge chips like the Pentium 4 actually realize that "Dennard scaling was breaking down" ? I know it was common knowledge by the early 2000s that increasing transistor counts were going to drive up power...
  16. X

A little OT - How do your organizations address requirement bloat?

In the division of the company I work for, requirements bloat and creep are sort of an accepted normal, and very few people even bother to properly challenge requirements. Worse yet, while we have processes in place that are designed to stop requirements creep, they are rarely honored. It's...
  17. X

What does Intel do with old fab equipment?

Just curious — as Intel has moved away from and retired older nodes, what typically happened to the equipment? Was it recycled, stored, or sold to other fab companies, something else? Thanks!
  18. X

Do modern nodes make FPGAs more or less attractive to replace “old” ASICs?

(Curiosity) Question - Assuming you don’t have very high performance needs (i.e. a lot of transistors at high speed and/or low power), I think that FPGAs vs ASIC is generally a volume and cost decision. With a lot of focus on ‘very old’ nodes being used by automakers and such, and hints from...
  19. X

AMD, Apple, Nvidia Reportedly Cutting back on TSMC N5 orders (+N6/N7)

OG Source (paywall) : https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20220622PD212/3nm-ic-manufacturing-tsmc.html TH Link: https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-apple-nvidia-reportedly-reducing-5nm-tsmc-orders - Apple cutting back orders for iPhone 14 components by 10% from original 90 million units...
  20. X

What news sources do Semi professionals use to keep themselves current?

Question as per title, just curious what the SMEs here use for staying current in this field? What's trusted and what's not? Thanks!
Back