[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. B

The world's biggest chips producer is on a high-speed hiring spree

According to Morningstar, TSMC stock is undervalued after much good news about AI has been incorporated this year, and they have a ”wide moat” which means being able to sustain competitive advantage for at least the next 20 years. That jibes with my industry knowledge. Look at 28nm for...
  2. B

The desperate battle for 2 nanometers will heat up next year

chinatimes.com looks like a quality source. I don't know how you find these Dan but keep it up. Being in Mandarin, I clicked translate in Edge and it took care of it pretty well. Zhang Jiarui also seems like a quality journalist.
  3. B

Intel’s $3.5 Billion Boondoggle

50% TSMC content is, effectively, a tipping point. Intel is fab lite (and shell heavy). I think building fab shells has strategic optionality, that makes it worth it; think how much advertising and positive press Intel gets for some steel and concrete. And Intel has shown a talent for banking...
  4. B

Most upcoming Arrow Lake CPUs will leverage TSMC nodes for compute, Intel 20A only for Core i5 and lower: Leak

"Focus on what is shipping in volume" Agree. "Lake" products are mostly non-Intel-manufacturing, with Intel packaging. A retreat from front-end manufacturing, with Foveros becoming the main differentiating ingredient. Intel and AMD products will be pretty similar in the "Lake" world...
  5. B

CHIPS for America Announces Funding Opportunity to Expand U.S. Semiconductor Packaging

"More capable substrates open the door to innovation at every other level in the packaging process." The US needs domestic-located packaging capability.
  6. B

Gelsinger Opens Up, as Intel Reportedly Expands Orders to TSMC

I look at 5 nodes 4 years as a statement of Intel R&D performance, not manufacturing. Samsung and TSMC could well be doing the same thing, just less public about it, and most likely are. But as Elon Musk says "Manufacturing is hard". Samsung yields have consistently struggled going from R&D...
  7. B

U.S. chip fab construction is among the slowest in the world -- a complex web of regulations is to blame according to study

I didn't really propose a solution, did I? It's not changing the regulations or eliminating regulations. If you were to change something it would make the problem worse; it would create uncertainty. Possibly cause a crash. US regulations aren't really the issue in my opinion. A fab is a...
  8. B

U.S. chip fab construction is among the slowest in the world -- a complex web of regulations is to blame according to study

Some of the important standards that influence fab engineering decisions include SEMI S2, National Fire Protection Association, Factory Mutual 4910, National Electrical Code, ISO, IEC and ASTM standards, BSI standards, CE Mark, REACH, RoHS, China RoHS, and the list goes on. My impression is...
  9. B

Sam Altman wants Washington's backing for his $7 trillion AI chip venture

The US National Debt clock is at $34T currently. That's $101,847 per citizen. https://www.usdebtclock.org/ The main/only way to ever get out from under this is through technology and growth. AI is the main vehicle under consideration to achieve enough growth to pay back those trillions. The...
  10. B

Intel Foundry Services Stuart Penn Interview

Pulling quotes out of the talk: Stu Pann: "We need to be in the foundry business for scale"..."Only by being in the foundry business and offering up our technology to other people can we get the scale in the business we need" "We're making investments in Europe and Asia" (??) "I think we're...
  11. B

Why TSMC may have different strategies in Japan and Arizona?

"There are many, and perhaps 10-20 factors attributable to TSMC's success, including technological breakthroughs, skills at transferring R&D from lab to mother fab, better yields, and focused customer engagement, to name a few." "Keep in mind that the CHIPS office is like a startup. The CHIPS...
  12. B

The Bleeding Edge of Semiconductors: A Tale of Three Companies || Peter Zeihan

Peter's wheelhouse: Commodities, demographics, and geography. When he's connecting one of these to current events, he can be very interesting. If only fertilizer somehow affected global chip production...instead, the result is a stretch.
  13. B

Samsung to open 3D DRAM research lab in US

This is the first public acknowledgement, to my knowledge, that scaling of planar DRAM has ended. Which was worrying. Now it's a more positive push to develop the replacement.
  14. B

SMIC reportedly to produce 5nm Huawei chips despite sanctions

I found this interesting: SMIC has 3 new fabs under construction, 2 in Beijing and 1 in Shaoxing. https://www.3dincites.com/2024/01/the-semiconductor-cycle-looking-into-the-future/ New fabs with significant capital investment bring the possibility of leapfrog improvement in yields. They are...
  15. B

Key EQP suppliers have their R&D in Silicon Valley. It becomes a drag, crossing the Pacific constantly, and it's expensive, so why not plant a rotating group of expats in CA?
  16. B

Bing AI gave me this (pretty good quick summary!)-->Search: 3D DRAM Structure
  17. B

Future Horizon Semiconductor Market Update 2024

I was frustrated by the blurry chart above, and found this one from WSTS on 3dincites.com: https://www.3dincites.com/2024/01/the-semiconductor-cycle-looking-into-the-future/ We're recovering since early 2023, in the broadest possible sense, but not at advanced fabs (which I would define as 12...
  18. B

Arm's Blowout Quarter Discussion 2024

Arm v9 royalty is double, according to Bloomberg. I'll see if I can find a link.
  19. B

High volume Android smartphone chips reject Samsung and TSMC latest nodes

One thing that is interesting is how comparable Samsung 4 and TSMC 4 are at this stage of development. 1.8% difference in one respectable benchmark. I think a lot of what gets debated here on Semiwiki comes down to small differences in maturity. Samsung is generally less mature at release...
  20. B

High volume Android smartphone chips reject Samsung and TSMC latest nodes

Currently no benchmarks of the production 155H: https://benchmarks.ul.com/hardware/cpu/Intel+Core+Ultra+7+processor+155H/review
Back