[XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Search results

1. B

Top Chinese Scientists Sketch Out Plans to Thwart US Chip Curbs

Should US Universities be training the new generation of scientists needed by China to overtake the US in semiconductors, A.I., arms development and fundamental research? I think we already are.
  2. B

T J Rodgers Second Act, Age and Accomplishment

Which commander in chief of a major world power could me those military physical standards? If you wonder why his speaking ability seems sub par, it is because he had a speech defect which he worked hard to nearly overcome. Please, less obvious political sniping on Semiwiki. It deserves better.
  3. B

China’s semiconductor industry rocked by US export controls

Did the second shoe just drop? Investigation of patent violations by TSMC, Samsung. Could be tip of an iceberg, or not. https://www.usitc.gov/press_room/news_release/2022/er1014ll1999.htm
  4. B

Many Lam and Applied service personnel, including vital support engineers, left China a few days ago, en mass.
  5. B

If embargo applies to spare parts for semi equipment, that would soon cause many fabs to shut, unless they can make their own spare parts (unlikely). Also, lack of support from Field Process and Equipment engineers from US would be disasterous for newly installed (latest technology) fab...
  6. B

High-NA might be last-gen litho

So is 8nm the end of the line for lithography?
  7. B

IRDS 2022 Lithography Roadmap update

So is 8 nm 1/2 pitch the end of the line for lithography?
  8. B

Bipartisan group urges US blacklist for ‘Beijing-directed’ chipmaker, YMTC

Does anyone know if and when actual electronic products made with banned (or stolen) tech might be embargoed. This is the elephant in the room.
  9. B

TSMC needs to partner with India

India has hopeless bureaucracy, which won’t change for years. Plus other issues too numerous to mention. Design yes, fabs no.
  10. B

Taiwan Chip Industry Emerges as Battlefront in USA - China Showdown

The economic boycott (a la Russia/Ukraine) that would follow a takeover would be even worse than the loss of South China manufacturing caused by Taiwanese missles. The result: disaster for China, (and the world economy).
  11. B

Mixed Reality Headsets, Apple, Frontier Market

Zberg is running scared. That tells me Apple is ahead.
  12. B

Corruption, Ineptitude, China's Chip Failure

How much of China's high tech was stolen? Answer, a lot.
  13. B

Intel moves EUV litho track and scanner from Oregon to Ireland

And Intel could have been ahead in EUV if they had not decreased/eliminated funding to Cymer to go with immersion instead, in the early days of EUV source development.
  14. B

Fast charging or regular charging?

Lots of evidence in favor of slow charging. Phone makers don't mind if you fast charge, then replace your phone when battery dies early.
  15. B

The third star Samsung Electronics wants to dominate cutting-edge chipmaking

To paraphrase Andy Grove, the #2 is the (not so) secret weapon against the #1. In Grove’s case the #2 were Intel’s Taiwanese engineers, the #1 was Japan. Now let’s see if the analogy holds- Korea/Taiwan.
  16. B

TSMC Q3 2021 Discussion

I also heard that 100+ Apple IC designers, including their best ones, went to startups (AI, etc).This will certainly negatively impact near future designs=innovations.
  17. B

Why an India-Taiwan mega chip deal could be a global save.

India has a fatal flaw. They haven’t gotten over the effect of colonialism: too much subterfuge (cheating); always trying to get the best deal by hook or crook; penny wise and pound foolish. In summary, lacking self confidence and not able to fully commit. (I have been there 15 times, lived...
  18. B

China aiming to achieve 24 nm pitch SAQP domestic capability

Process is based on EUV, which they don't have and probably won't get
  19. B

ASML reports 2021 EUV shipments sliding into 2022

PS As I remembe, Intel ordered the first 7 EUV machines way back when. Don't know if they ever took delivery, since they said they were going with 193i.
  20. B

ASML reports 2021 EUV shipments sliding into 2022

Is there any such thing as a "soft" cancellation? It would be fascinating to see the actual cancellation letter and what lawyers may have added to it. Also, the difference between models may be mostly source power. It would be tricky to change the optics much I suspect. Anyone have insight on...
Back