[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

COVID-19 in North Brabant, NL

hkwint

So, to those interested in if and how ASML might be affected, here's an update from our province (NB).
Sticking to facts here, interpretation is up to you.
  • - 4% of hospital-employees in NB tested positive for COVID-19, a quite shocking rate,
  • - 157 cases confirmed on a population of 2.5M, 4 (older) people died,
  • - Scientists conclude some people who only seem to have a cold, don't have a cold but COVID-19 (so COVID-19 limited to the nose area and coughing is the only symptom),
  • - Everybody who coughs or has a cold in NB is asked to stay at home,
  • - Most who cough, rejected for hospital visits, most non-emergency surgeries postponed,
  • - Everybody who _can_ work at home in NB is asked to work at home,
  • - Everybody in NB is asked, to minimize _all_ social contancts,
  • -Most big events cancelled, including soccer matches and dance festivals, other events maximized to 1000 visitors.
  • -Road traffic already declined 25%
  • - NL's Prime minister yesterday asked everybody to stop shaking hands.
  • -Neigbouring German Bundesstaat Northrein - Westfalen is the one hardest hit by COVID-19, distance of affected NRW-aria to NB <100km.
It goes without saying, this also leads to scrutinization of all travel at companies, and contractors visiting; everything is kept to a bare minimum.

Good news is, supermarkets, schools and borders are still open; no Italian situations _yet_...

ED - And for those who don't know NB, people over here make a joke out of almost anything:

Last edited:
Glad to see you have testing. As Korea compared to Italy shows, aggressive testing and understanding the actual spread is key to a better outcome.
Here in King County, WA (Seattle) there is very little testing available. A few days ago they did open up additional testing for medical personnel, but the government seems to want us all to operate on no real data. It turns out the early cases which were identified were due to tests run by physicians who ignored the federal guidelines and tested anyway.

I sailed by the quarantined Cruise ship in Oakland yesterday on my way out to the GG Bridge. There were security boats all over the place. Would people really jump ship?!?!?! And why would anybody get on a cruise ship knowing full well that it is a fertile germ breeding ground? Very strange times.
Dan GG Bridge 2020.jpg

Yes, strange times indeed! Happy to see sailing is still allowed! 'Sea' in the open air (not on a cruiseship) is probably the safest place right now...

Yesterday, our government declared NL will not be in 'lockdown', and my country is alone in this position together with Belgium (home of IMEC) and more or less Germany (GloFo Dresden and home of several MEM-fabs). No military in the street, not all shops closed, border with BE / DE still open; an open border is a rare thing these days.

All other countries (except for NL / BE) closed borders with Germany; as they're probably not on the "mass immunity"-path our NL/BE governments declared as our path. Our prime minister has been on TV, telling us a big part of the population will probably go through the new virus. The same thing Angela Merkel remarked, but in a much more structured way in a 10-min nationwide-speech.

At the same time, the situation in our hospital (Breda) is dire; currently code red and close to code black (Northern Italy-scenario's); IC full and patents being brought to other cities. It's because my city is the one with the most Corona-cases. Currently not everybody with flu symptoms is tested anymore; only those who go to hospital with respiratory complaints. I read about the situation in Washington state, it's probably a bit like that.

At most companies, ~25% of the "needed people" (those who can't work from home) stay at home because either they're ill, their children are ill, or they don't have a place for the children to go as all schools closed yesterday. Only child care for children of which both parents have 'crucial employment', such as healthcare, supermarket / delivery chain, but _not_ industry. Suppliers not allowed to visit anymore; unless you really, really need them: Causing some backlogs.

So, if lots of Dutch / Belgian people will go through COVID-19 before a vaccine is ready, it will be interesting to see if they will be allowed in non-COVID-19 countries (like Japan, Taiwan) in the near future.

At this moment, our government is starting information flow about "life after Corona", which means mass-testing to decide who had Corona, and who didn't - based on antibodies one only has after infection. Possibly testing millions of peoples for anti-bodies in the near future. I can imagine, in the future, only being allowed in other countries if you have an anti-bodies waiver; meaning you can't spread the virus anymore as you're immune.

Besides, I was quite happy to see government stepping up today with a big plan to help SMB's; to keep economy running as much as possible; as most of the country came to a screeching halt yesterday (closed now: Schools, all sport facilities, pubs / bars / restaurants, 'coffee-shops'). Looking at the US, and the failure of the US government to come up with targeted measures,I think stepping up with a plan to help SMB's is much better for economies than the FED cutting rates. Because those who work in aviation, tourism, event-organization or a factory which had to close because of COVID-19: Tey can't pay rent or food with FED rate-cuts.

Strange fact, at the same time I think there's lots of demand for silicon. If at a big company many people want to work at home, today we noticed, the network becoming overloaded, and also Skype starts to lag. Depending on how long the "work from home"-wave lasts, I think there could be quite a big demand for network-product companies. such as Cisco, Broadcom et all. MediaMarkt (biggest electronics chain over here) also noticed huge demand for monitors and keyboards.

Silicon Valley is in lock down. They call it "Shelter in Place" where only essential trips can be made. It really is an interesting experience. The gym and other facilities are closed yet we still owe dues and fees. You can pick up food but not eat inside. This is the first day and the majority of people are staying inside but how long will that continue.

Grocery stores are reducing hours or only letting 30 people in at a time. Some require security. Some shelves are literally bare. People are taking out thousands of dollars in cash, banks are now limiting withdraws. It really is a panic pandemic.

In my opinion the question is not IF you will get the virus but WHEN (like the flu). The longer you can put it off the better the medical treatment will be, my opinion.

Yes, strange times indeed! Happy to see sailing is still allowed! 'Sea' in the open air (not on a cruiseship) is probably the safest place right now...

Yesterday, our government declared NL will not be in 'lockdown', and my country is alone in this position together with Belgium (home of IMEC) and more or less Germany (GloFo Dresden and home of several MEM-fabs). No military in the street, not all shops closed, border with BE / DE still open; an open border is a rare thing these days.

All other countries (except for NL / BE) closed borders with Germany; as they're probably not on the "mass immunity"-path our NL/BE governments declared as our path. Our prime minister has been on TV, telling us a big part of the population will probably go through the new virus. The same thing Angela Merkel remarked, but in a much more structured way in a 10-min nationwide-speech.

At the same time, the situation in our hospital (Breda) is dire; currently code red and close to code black (Northern Italy-scenario's); IC full and patents being brought to other cities. It's because my city is the one with the most Corona-cases. Currently not everybody with flu symptoms is tested anymore; only those who go to hospital with respiratory complaints. I read about the situation in Washington state, it's probably a bit like that.

At most companies, ~25% of the "needed people" (those who can't work from home) stay at home because either they're ill, their children are ill, or they don't have a place for the children to go as all schools closed yesterday. Only child care for children of which both parents have 'crucial employment', such as healthcare, supermarket / delivery chain, but _not_ industry. Suppliers not allowed to visit anymore; unless you really, really need them: Causing some backlogs.

So, if lots of Dutch / Belgian people will go through COVID-19 before a vaccine is ready, it will be interesting to see if they will be allowed in non-COVID-19 countries (like Japan, Taiwan) in the near future.

At this moment, our government is starting information flow about "life after Corona", which means mass-testing to decide who had Corona, and who didn't - based on antibodies one only has after infection. Possibly testing millions of peoples for anti-bodies in the near future. I can imagine, in the future, only being allowed in other countries if you have an anti-bodies waiver; meaning you can't spread the virus anymore as you're immune.

Besides, I was quite happy to see government stepping up today with a big plan to help SMB's; to keep economy running as much as possible; as most of the country came to a screeching halt yesterday (closed now: Schools, all sport facilities, pubs / bars / restaurants, 'coffee-shops'). Looking at the US, and the failure of the US government to come up with targeted measures,I think stepping up with a plan to help SMB's is much better for economies than the FED cutting rates. Because those who work in aviation, tourism, event-organization or a factory which had to close because of COVID-19: Tey can't pay rent or food with FED rate-cuts.

Strange fact, at the same time I think there's lots of demand for silicon. If at a big company many people want to work at home, today we noticed, the network becoming overloaded, and also Skype starts to lag. Depending on how long the "work from home"-wave lasts, I think there could be quite a big demand for network-product companies. such as Cisco, Broadcom et all. MediaMarkt (biggest electronics chain over here) also noticed huge demand for monitors and keyboards.

Because everyone with allergies or the flu or tired has coronavirus. People need to chill out.

Personally, i think "Herd immunity" is a just of way of government admitting "sorry, we fucked up" The dutch government should really look into their medical/healthcare system. The dutch pay much more healthcare than the Belgian, yet, they got the same/worse results when there`s a outbreak. I know some dutch may not like to hear this, but look at your German neighbors, look at how many people are recovered and how many are dead, and then look at yourself, 3 are recovered!!, 3!!!
1585232873623.png

The comparison with Belgium works in no way at all; they pay lots of extra taxes which are funding hospitals. There simply _isn't_ a difference between NL and BE, over the border it's just as bad as here. Only we have a municipality Corona map in NL so we know which municipalities are hit, for Belgium I can't find any.

Belgium closed borders (the only border in the world you could pass by car with 130km / h); but it's useless since the other side of the border has the same amount of corona cases. Now, they'd better close borders between Flanders and Wallonia; but well, that's almost the same as closing down borders at the state of NY.

Yes, we're fully aware that Germany has 4x IC capacity NL has; and lucky for them the outbreak amongst the elderly isn't that bad in Germany. Just watch Heinsberg to see how the Germans cope if the outbreak _is_ bad, situation on that side on the border really wasn't all that better than in NL; but that's Heinsberg only; a really small part of Germany. German side of the border over there is sparsely populated, NL side of the borders is quite densely populated; both (and also Flanders) celebrate carnival. Think 'Mardi Grass' if you don't know what that means; that's the cause of all the early spread; and probably explains why all the area's around south NL / Flanders / NRW aren't as badly affected.

The Netherlands had lots of austerity governments last 20 years; so the lack of tests (and _that's_ the reason they don't test if people are recovered!!! So recovered people are not registered) and lack of IC-places are a result of our governments last 20 years. Probably we'll reach code black by next week, unless Germany helps us out.

Back