Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/child-care-a-requirement-for-chip-makers-seeking-billions-in-incentives.17492/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Child care a requirement for chip makers seeking billions in incentives

It maybe true there are many strings attached, but the biggest string that the South Koreans want the US to remove is the restriction on recipients attempting to build additional advanced fabs in China, which in today's world is considered enemy territory from US perspective. It maybe indicative that South Koreans cares nothing about US national security, despite god knows how many trillions the US has already spent protecting them from the the big fat thug up north.

It is a South Korea's posture to show international audience (like CCP) and Korean domestic audience that they did try hard to fight all those Chips Act restrictions and requirements. If CCP is going to express its anger towards Samsung or SK Hynix due to those restrictions, Koreans can say "don't blame us" innocently.

At this moment, the requirements and restrictions are all pretty much settled. It's because US, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Neighlerand negotiated things before the Commerce Department's announcement last week. It is a scripted drama arranged before its stage debut.

Reactions: VCT
At this moment, the requirements and restrictions are all pretty much settled. It's because US, Taiwan, Japan, South Korea, and Neighlerand negotiated things before the Commerce Department's announcement last week. It is a scripted drama arranged before its stage debut.
I doubt it. How do you know this?

I doubt it. How do you know this?
This is so obvious. If Korea companies don't blame US government, they will get punished in a certain way in China.
So many little tricks CCP can make your operation in trouble. Image a sudden more frequent safety inspections to your fab. Your importing machines and raw material stuck in the custom.

After it went to media, Mark Mobius finally get his money out.

This is so obvious.
No, it isn't, and strikes me as very unlikely. The implementation of the CHIPS Act requires allowing the US government substantial visibility into corporate decision-making and book-keeping, and that's a big part of the current agenda of the Biden Administration. This type of corporate interference seems very unlikely to ever be accepted by Korean companies like Samsung and SK Hynix. I doubt even Intel will accept it, now that they know what the strings are exactly attached to the money.

despite god knows how many trillions the US has already spent protecting them from the the big fat thug up north.

NK now has nukes, and US will not fight a nuclear state, as been revealed in Ukraine.

Something tells me it's not a position of current administration, but what a long standing position of people advising US administrations.

This type of corporate interference seems very unlikely to ever be accepted by Korean companies like Samsung and SK Hynix. I doubt even Intel will accept it, now that they know what the strings are exactly attached to the money.

That been a reality of doing business in Taiwan as a public company for much longer. There been a period in Taiwan when regulators were very pushy on such pro-CSR activism around 2010-2015, and later it been toned down. That period didn't do much other than inconvening companies by making them hire people to fill their CSR section in reports to the regulator.

Back