Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/zuckerberg-outlines-quasi-political-agenda-in-roadmap.7626/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Zuckerberg outlines quasi-political agenda in roadmap

Don Dingee

We've seen the tech lobby gaining more and more power recently, and Mark Zuckerberg just took it to another level.

In his keynote at the f8 developer conference, the Facebook CEO laid out a 10-year roadmap to "give everyone the power to share anything with anyone".

Facebook's Mark Zuckerberg steps into political fray

I'll stay off the political agenda here other than to comment that we're clearly moving in a direction where those who control the social media platforms control the discussion and shape the agenda.

Of note are the three technologies Zuck identified as central to the roadmap: AI (which I wish they would call deep learning), connectivity, and AR.

Don - interesting. I have mixed reactions:

• On one hand Zuckerberg has been a clumsy philanthropist in the past (attempt to drive education improvements in New Jersey without getting buy-in from parent, teachers, etc). Perhaps this will turn out to be no more than another step in the education of Mark Zuckerberg.

• On the other hand, I sympathize with the view that governments are becoming less and less significant in a world more and more driven by business and trade. Yet some of their members (on both ends of the political spectrum) cling to (or grab for) power/relevance though cheap demonization of precisely what is driving us forward.

Response to this from political types will unfortunately be all too predictable. I will be shocked only if any of them says "Wait, this may not be as well expressed it could be, but there are some interesting ideas here."

>>

• On the other hand, I sympathize with the view that governments are becoming less and less significant in a world more and more driven by business and trade. Yet some of their members (on both ends of the political spectrum) cling to (or grab for) power/relevance though cheap demonization of precisely what is driving us forward.

Maybe so, but at it's core, capitalism is deeply corrupt , deeply flawed system if you care about human welfare(many examples available, just look at the recent financial crisis), that really needs regulation and the NGO sector as a counter balance. Heck looking at some of the more impressive new NGO's that use the same tools of capital, technology, etc of corporations but to a goal that is not profit driven, and achieving great things gives one the feeling that a world with much more NGO's and less business would be better for people.

Back