Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/will-nano-degrees-combined-with-platforms-revolutionize-education-training.15065/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Will Nano Degrees combined with Platforms Revolutionize Education/Training

Arthur Hanson

With the amount of knowledge increasing at an ever-increasing rate and having a shorter and shorter half-life will nano degrees combined with platforms developed by the best and the brightest replace our current education and training systems. Having the best and the brightest build platforms made possible by ever-improving AI and ML chips combined with ever better memory leverage themselves worldwide on an ongoing basis make the current systems of education and training obsolete, too slow-moving, and too expensive? The accelerating pace of change powered by evermore information and knowledge that semis have made possible is calling for massive change in just about everything we interact with. Any thoughts on coming changes, their timelines and structure would be appreciated. The current system is rapidly becoming more obsolete every day.

I am pessimistic.

Many nation scale challenges. Nation's best brains are channelled into bond peddler (wall st.,) or advertising salesment (dotcoms) careers. This is hard to reverse.

Semi simply has extremely low salaries, even in North America, and worse in Asia.

When was just trying the waters in the industry, a salary of an entry level device RnD person was less than $30k a year in Singapore, or Taiwan. And this position was considered a lucky pick for PhD/postdoc level talent.

My story https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php?threads/career-advise-for-a-person-on-a-crossroad.14469/ . I have since changed jobs, but otherwise, on the same path. The industry in China is preparing for a massive exodus, either to South, or South East Asia, and I am too.

Last edited:
I completely agree that in the context of national problems, this issue is far from being in the first place (again, due to the level of wages).
also, I was advised a great solution to the problem I encountered when writing cv - I turn to topcv review topcvwritersuk.com/topcv-review/ - qualified writers work here - it saves my time

Last edited:
I completely agree that in the context of national problems, this issue is far from being in the first place (again, due to the level of wages)
As a student at a public Washingtonian university there is a noticeable improvement in education quality and efficiency compared to Oregon. I almost feel like I got screwed over in Oregon (in spite of the fact that personally, I would say my education was pretty decent).

It used to be said that education was what remained after you had forgotten what you had learned in school. In technical eduction there is some truth in the idea "that it's not the details that matter but the understanding that lies behind them". So, IMO the "microdegrees" are exactly what we don't need. We need degrees to be based on in-depth understanding - even if it doesn't cover everything. After that, the typical short-courses we have are helpful in providing the freedom to devote a concentrated period of time to learning the techniques, but the reality is that - once you understand the fundamentals - then you can pick up most of the technique by personal reading and application.
It may be a paradox, but the last thing we need is degrees that are easy to examine. As an example, "measurement" of peoples work in labs has virtually destroyed their value: graduates emerge with zero understanding of experimental design, or elimination of unwanted variables, which is obviously the more important aspect for a scientist or an engineer.

As a student at a public Washingtonian university there is a noticeable improvement in education quality and efficiency compared to Oregon. I almost feel like I got screwed over in Oregon (in spite of the fact that personally, I would say my education was pretty decent).

Both suck. My skills are more in demand than a stem or accounting graduate from an Oregon University. A few work for the govt and are subsidized but look in the private sector and it's a goose egg.

Nano degrees are the future in education in oregon you don't have to deal with the politics, bds, intolerance, laziness etc. Oregon's higher education is limited.

I am pessimistic.

Many nation scale challenges. Nation's best brains are channelled into bond peddler (wall st.,) or advertising salesment (dotcoms) careers. This is hard to reverse.

Semi simply has extremely low salaries, even in North America, and worse in Asia.

When was just trying the waters in the industry, a salary of an entry level device RnD person was less than $30k a year in Singapore, or Taiwan. And this position was considered a lucky pick for PhD/postdoc level talent.

My story https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php?threads/career-advise-for-a-person-on-a-crossroad.14469/ . I have since changed jobs, but otherwise, on the same path. The industry in China is preparing for a massive exodus, either to South, or South East Asia, and I am too.

Still the same in SEA , especially in Singapore which has a fairly well established Semicon industry. Much to the Govts chagrin no local.person wants to be in Semicon for more than 5 minutes due to relatively low salary and slow career progression , everywhere dead mans shoes. Thats why the Semicon industry here is full of Foreign Talent at all levels as folk cant wait to get out of India / Philippines / Malaysia / Myanmar / Taiwan and will do so for any salary the company can get away with.

Back