Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-news-sources-do-semi-professionals-use-to-keep-themselves-current.16270/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What news sources do Semi professionals use to keep themselves current?

Xebec

Question as per title, just curious what the SMEs here use for staying current in this field? What's trusted and what's not?

Thanks!

Top Ten Trusted Semiconductor Sites:
  1. SemiWiki.com
  2. SemiWiki.com
  3. SemiWiki.com
  4. SemiWiki.com
  5. SemiWiki.com
  6. SemiWiki.com
  7. SemiWiki.com
  8. SemiWiki.com
  9. SemiWiki.com
  10. SemiWiki.com
Lol!!! I guess maybe I shouldn't have asked this question here. :)

Lol!!! I guess maybe I shouldn't have asked this question here. :)

I'm biased to sites that are staffed by semiconductor professionals which is a very short list. Look at the author's credentials before putting too much stock in what they write. If there is zero semiconductor experience then let the reader beware.

I'm biased to sites that are staffed by semiconductor professionals which is a very short list. Look at the author's credentials before putting too much stock in what they write. If there is zero semiconductor experience then let the reader beware.
I was attracted to this site for your semiconductor experience and Fred's, and selected other posters, but there are many facets to the semiconductor field, and expertise in one facet does not mean knowledge in all of them. The field spans high-level computer architecture and engineering, to chip architecture, to interfaces (e.g. DDR, PCIe, CXL, UCIe, etc), to logic design, IP integration, physical layout, circuit design, mask design, fabrication process... you know the drill, but an expert in one area may not be an expert in one (or any) of the others. This site is great for semiconductor manufacturing and the science and techniques involved, but from my view there are other kinds of expertise that are required to really understand where the semiconductor market is going. Is someone who participates in the high-level chip architecture development really a semiconductor professional by your definition?

I was attracted to this site for your semiconductor experience and Fred's, and selected other posters, but there are many facets to the semiconductor field, and expertise in one facet does not mean knowledge in all of them. The field spans high-level computer architecture and engineering, to chip architecture, to interfaces (e.g. DDR, PCIe, CXL, UCIe, etc), to logic design, IP integration, physical layout, circuit design, mask design, fabrication process... you know the drill, but an expert in one area may not be an expert in one (or any) of the others. This site is great for semiconductor manufacturing and the science and techniques involved, but from my view there are other kinds of expertise that are required to really understand where the semiconductor market is going. Is someone who participates in the high-level chip architecture development really a semiconductor professional by your definition?

Absolutely.

There are good articles in LinkedIn and YouTube is flooding with Webinar. Much better than newspapers without professional proofreading.

There are good articles in LinkedIn and YouTube is flooding with Webinar. Much better than newspapers without professional proofreading.

True, I spend a lot of time on LinkedIn and YouTube. LinkedIn for semiconductor networking and news. For semiconductors LinkedIn is the #1 social media platform, definitely. YouTube for home/car repair and sailing instructional videos. You can literally learn to sail from start to finish on YouTube. Facebook groups is also a good source for sailing. I'm a member of a group of people that own the same brand of boat and a group of people who sail the San Francisco Bay and surrounding areas. People who try and write about sailing without actually sailing are outed very quickly. Like semiconductors, it's something you have to experience to truly appreciate.

And sometimes my wife sails with me, now that I mostly know what I am doing. :ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• Beautiful wife.jpg
    Beautiful wife.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 84
semiengineering.com is excellent for detailed technical analyses.

edacafe.com for the latest on tools and such.

I've always liked Ian Cutress, who used to be at anandtech but recently went independent.

No idea what the paid articles are like, but semiaccurate.com is kinda like the NY Post of semiconductor media which can be entertaining.

IMO this forum is the best aggregator and has been one of the few beams of light amidst the semiconductor trade war/chip shortage hysteria of the MSM.

And if you really wanna get weird, thelayoff.com is full of rabbit holes for any given technology firm.. I've wasted days of my life in the IBM pages.

In case you are interested:

SemiWiki was founded in 2010 and went online January 1st, 2011
Today SemiWiki has 159,787 registered members: https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php
We have published 8,252 blogs which have 97,186,713 views
We have published 92 podcasts which have 2,092,315 listens
We have posted 2,211 jobs which have 1,414,570 clicks
There are 1,780 calendar entries with 1,062,060 clicks
There are 3,962 Forum threads with 15,133,397 views

So really, SemiWiki, as a semiconductor portal, is in a class by itself, absolutely.

In case you are interested:

SemiWiki was founded in 2010 and went online January 1st, 2011
Today SemiWiki has 159,787 registered members: https://semiwiki.com/forum/index.php
We have published 8,252 blogs which have 97,186,713 views
We have published 92 podcasts which have 2,092,315 listens
We have posted 2,211 jobs which have 1,414,570 clicks
There are 1,780 calendar entries with 1,062,060 clicks
There are 3,962 Forum threads with 15,133,397 views

So really, SemiWiki, as a semiconductor portal, is in a class by itself, absolutely.
This is a very impressive site and effort for sure, and you should be proud Daniel..

I very much appreciate the effort that goes into the podcasts - there's something about hearing people's experience that cannot be captured in other ways. Thanks!!

Back