Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/what-is-pat-gelsinger-talking-about.14725/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

What is Pat Gelsinger talking about?

Jumper

What is Pat Gelsinger talking about? Intel will lead over ZEN3 with a few % and most probably will tie with ZEN3D. Sapphire rapids will also have to compete with Genoa which will most likely beat SR with lower TDP and if the rumors are true for 128 core Bergamo then Intel is just screwed in servers. Pat Gelsinger surely knows this and he is still overhyping Intel to the moon. Can someone explain me his strategy? Because from my POV he will hurt the company with statements like this.

It hurts company credibility for him to miss delivery due date for his past promises so many times in a row.

We already know that Alder will lose to even Zen 2 if built on same node.

11th gen ULP chips they have are 40W+ peak power, while Ryzen 5XXX of equivalent performance is at around 25-30W+ peak. It's huge even with a few node advantage.

Note, Intel has the FIVR advantage, while AMD relies on on-die linear regs.

AMD adding a switching regulator will undoubtedly win them quite a few watts right away, especially on the extremes of the power envelope.

It hurts company credibility for him to miss delivery due date for his past promises so many times in a row.

We already know that Alder will lose to even Zen 2 if built on same node.

11th gen ULP chips they have are 40W+ peak power, while Ryzen 5XXX of equivalent performance is at around 25-30W+ peak. It's huge even with a few node advantage.

Note, Intel has the FIVR advantage, while AMD relies on on-die linear regs.

AMD adding a switching regulator will undoubtedly win them quite a few watts right away, especially on the extremes of the power envelope.
Yeah, Pat isn't helping the situation either. Basically, he is setting expectations super high and I am sure they can and will deliver but they won't have better tech than AMD sooner than in 2024-2025 if the plan goes smoothly.

I see pat gelsinger as a command and conquer parody. He thinks he still is in 1996 and he takes technical people for granted as part of the narrative.

Back