Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/uv-c-leds-key-to-coronavirus-problem.12432/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

UV-C LEDs key to Coronavirus Problem

Arthur Hanson

UV-C is well documented at killing germs and viruses for years and UV-C LEDs probably offer one of the key solutions to solving the coronavirus problem. These are available in a number of configurations from being installed in air ducts to portable hand carried units and everything in-between. I have no idea how fast this production could be ramped up, but I figure it could be greatly expedited under current circumstances. Units to sterilize hospital rooms have been in use for a few years, but not fully wide spread currently. Also, I have personally worked in high end bio labs where fluorescent tubes with specialty spectrums where used to keep the labs sterile to the very highest standards. Any additions welcome.

Last edited:
There are a wide variety of products in this area and available at non price gouging prices. I checked on this before posting.

Ignorance has run rampant and I have never been do disappointed in our media, even CNBC, which was a cut above, but not now. The media has been all about fear mongering and worst of all ignorance to feed their own egos and ratings. I have heard nothing about UV C which is but one of many virtually unmentioned solutions. Panic and fear boost ratings for not only the media, but politicians. Intelligent solutions and ways of coping with this virus are in short supply. In most cases the effects are not even enough to seek medical treatment. If you are old, sick or don't take care of yourself and use normal, everyday precautions you can have problems. If you exercise common precautions and have maintained yourself, your odds of serious problems are miniscule. This has already proven a threat to the semi/nanotech industry and could get to the point it WILL seriously damage the economy if we blindly follow ignorant self serving politicians and media. Their are solutions for those that have taken care of themselves and serious problems for those that haven't. Even if your old, like me(65), you can improve your odds dramatically with some common sense, which I have been reminded many times is not common. I take care of myself and have only been sick once in the last ten years. I eat a high performance diet and exercise daily. Junk food kills far more people than the coronavirus, where is insane media coverage on this, oh, they are big advertisers with big bucks and the media doesn't care about anything but the bottom line, so much for press integrity or lack there of.

Last edited:
Hi Arthur,

Well you are 65 so if you get into a car accident or fall off a ladder or... Let's hope the doctors when they have to choose who gets treated chooses the 5 teenagers that were texting....that is the situation we hope you won't be in.

Of course, you don't have to read the news at all.

Hi Arthur,

Well you are 65 so if you get into a car accident or fall off a ladder or... Let's hope the doctors when they have to choose who gets treated chooses the 5 teenagers that were texting....that is the situation we hope you won't be in.

Of course, you don't have to read the news at all.

The news can create a level of hysteria that creates more damage than the actual incident, for to many take what they say as gospel.

Check out this scientific paper: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221/tab-pdf

The question is after looking at everyone picking their nose in public, kids coughing all over everything, packing bars, and acting as if absolutely nothing is happening (65% of men do not wash their hands after going the toilet...at least before this)....what can the news organizations possibly say to change behavior? I guess creating hysteria still isn't enough to make people behave considerately and responsibly. Poor us.

Check out this scientific paper: https://science.sciencemag.org/content/early/2020/03/13/science.abb3221/tab-pdf

The question is after looking at everyone picking their nose in public, kids coughing all over everything, packing bars, and acting as if absolutely nothing is happening (65% of men do not wash their hands after going the toilet...at least before this)....what can the news organizations possibly say to change behavior? I guess creating hysteria still isn't enough to make people behave considerately and responsibly. Poor us.
'

This is why UV C is such a great option and there are numerous ways it can be used from duct mounted to just open to the environment. The only draw back is that if used at high intensity sun glasses should be used. I'd rather have people wearing sun glasses than destroy our economy as is currently happening. There are numerous peer reviewed studies linking a declining economy to an increasing death rate, in fact you can just look at any country that has a drastic drop in the economy and you don't even need a study. Hysteria can become more dangerous than the disease itself.

I am sure the studies you site regarding a decreased economic output are linked to other types of economic slowdowns...
Yes, I agree UV-C can be the new normal especially at night when stores and restaurants are closed.
Spraying down streets with chemicals to kill a virus ....I agree that is hysteria.
(and maybe the Chinese have hinted at another lesson....we should only eat meat from controlled sources (domesticated)).

There are increased problems of all types associated with any economic slow down. There are many types and different causes of economic slow downs and unless the slow down in from overly fast growth, it has a variety of downsides depending on length and severity. The reality of the illusion, is the power of the illusion to cause people to act. With the hysteria in the media, it's hard to believe it doesn't create a mob like behavior on a large scale with unpredictable actions and results. Like many have said with many versions "Perception is Reality" and sadly this holds true in many cases.

On the other hand, most COVID-19 virus is spread by people interacting within 2 meters from each other, by coughing or sneezing.

As far as we're told in this country, virus-material which stays on surfaces is only the secondary infection mechanism.

So, even though desinfecting surfaces is probably a good addition to fighting COVID-19, there's no way it's going to stop the virus if people don't do the social distancing part at the same time. As the virus can only survive 9 days on most surfaces, that means if all people have to stay either "at home or in the supermarket" for at least 9 days (Wuhan, northern Italy, Spain, France), there's almost nothing to be gained from disinfecting all other places.

The latest studies say the virus stays about three days on surfaces and only hours on copper. I've already started trying to line up commercial support for a suite of products that will stop the virus cold, a very large project that only a major corporation could launch. The proposal has been sent and the first face to face meet has taken place. A long shot, but the technique has worked before.

Back