Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/us-persons-rule-%E2%80%98paralyzes%E2%80%99-china-but-will-help-taiwan-curb-poaching.16881/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

US persons rule ‘paralyzes’ China but will help Taiwan curb poaching

In the late 1950s, thousands of Russian nuclear scientists were sent to China to help Mao Zedong build the A-bomb. When Moscow recalled them after a split in 1960, Mao sent song-and-dance girls to get the Russians drunk so their scientific notebooks could be copied secretly before they left.

The Biden administration's "US persons" rule dropped a proverbial A-bomb on China, effectively “recalling” American citizens working on advanced chip development in the country.

The rule not only affects the likes of Lam Research and KLA, which have recalled their engineers from Chinese fabs. American educated and trained Chinese are behind many of China’s chip start-ups, but now these “sea turtles” are stuck between a rock and a hard place.

A US-based Chinese entrepreneur tweeted that "China's semiconductor manufacturing was paralyzed overnight.” Similar to China, Taiwan’s chip industry is populated by American educated and trained engineers, the most famous being TSMC founder Morris Chang.

“The people in Taiwan that built the semiconductor industry, virtually all of them had some tie back to Silicon Valley… and were able to transfer this knowhow back to Taiwan,” AnnaLee Saxenian, professor at University of California Berkeley, said in the Silicon Shield 2025 documentary.

Some, like former TSMC R&D director and Silicon Valley resident Chiang Shang-yi, later expressed regret about working for rivals in China. Under the new rule, such a move would be problematic.

In effect, the “US persons” rule will indirectly benefit Taiwan by curbing China’s poaching of its chip talent. Before China’s strict Covid-19 controls closed its borders, an estimated 10 per cent, or 3,000, of Taiwan’s semiconductor R&D engineers had gone to work in mainland China, lured by generous salaries and free housing.

Separately, the Taiwan government has been trying to beef up laws to prevent “illegal” poaching of its top chip talent, but that effort just got a helping hand from the A-bomb dropped by President Biden. Twitter: @craigaddison

If you start at Fairchild Semiconductor you can reconstruct a family tree that reaches out to most of the big semiconductor companies of our time. The inspiration from great semiconductor leaders lasts a life time.

Did China's take over of Hong Kong disrupt business? Other than the protests? Wasn't it business as usual?
As I live in Hong Kong all my life and also through, it was mostly business as usual except for weekends and public holidays and a few key dates. As I say mostly business as usual it means that most businesses chose to keep operating, but began to wind down operations in Hong Kong and move as much as possible away, while still providing core services. IMO the zero-Covid did far more damage than the protests as Hong Kong was mostly business as usual.

Hong Kong people as a whole are very sensible and were not really willing to skip work or school to go out and protest - as such, most people kept the economy going by going to work Mon-Fri and then protesting on Sat and Sun. They learned from previous experience with protesting that disruption to people's livelihoods should be kept to a minimum. In addition, the protests were leaderless and organized through social media and also things like airdrop (AirDrop is a surprisingly good way to send a message to a bunch of people who are nearby anonymously).

Disruption of all business by protests only happened for like a week iirc, after that the protestors decided to focus on causing physical damage to certain chain stores/restaurants whose corporate owners should have kept their mouths shut on politics (most notably Maxims). What the protests did do, is cause the National Security Law to be implemented and made businesses reevaluate what they kept in Hong Kong and what they did not keep in Hong Kong - Hong Kong is a financial center for the Pearl River Delta - one of the world's manufacturing centers. Businesses must keep some things here, but will move other things away (Hong Kong was a business hub of Asia because of the freedom of speech and press, which has been wiped out - but economic freedom is still mostly present).

If you look at another hub, like Singapore - they have no free speech there! Its all about business - and businesspeople who know what they can and cannot do will be fine operating in such a market.
HKs downfall seems to tie in with the rise of the current leader.
Ehh, would attribute more to the zero-Covid policy than anything else. Not the protests. The Chinese zero-Covid policy has also spooked current stock markets because the sudden lockdowns really damage the economy. Right now, doing business in HK is like doing business in places with semi-authoritarian governments, like Vietnam, Russia (pre-invasion of Ukraine), and Turkey - but HK still has more economic freedom, and is still ranked as one of the most free economies in the world. (not political freedom, civil liberties, but economic freedom)

In terms of current drop, I would attribute it to the fact that markets (and business community) of HK expected a 0+0 quarantine arrangement for travelers and tourists (HK eco has significant tourism sector) as well as the fact that they are much more reacting to whats going on up in China - the zero-Covid policy does not seem to be moving towards a policy-in-name-only status.

Anyways, I think a story of one of my friend's sums it up the most: I was 3 streets down from where the protests were, and everything was business as usual. However, once a turned the wrong corner, I got teargassed and wasn't even ready for it.
Very simply speaking, the protestors in HK cared about other people's safety and livelihoods, wanting to win the support of the entire population, so they were strategic in what disruption they caused. Most people are willing to take a bit of disruption in their daily lives - so long as it does not directly impact their jobs and livelihood. Thus, everything from Mon-Fri afternoon was business as usual. That is why the protest movement was able to last for so long and still enjoys widespread support from across Hong Kong.
(More can be said about how mainland/mandarin speaking Chinese people moving to Hong Kong after the handover were missed and support from them is almost nonexistent, and I personally feel much more should have been done to earn their support, but that really gets off topic)

Where are HK people planning to go?
I always find it fascinating to find out where ex-HK, ex-Shenzen, those sort of people end up.
And worry when they go back.

The article only mentions Singapore.
Its not so easy as folk think.

Singapore got burned before by Hong Kongers coming to Singapore , 1997 the Govt was giving out Permanent Residency to folk getting off the plane , alas almost all went back after milking the system here once they realised not much changed in HK.

Getting any sort of work pass/long term Visa isnt so easy anymore as there is large upswell in anti-foreigner sentiment here

Where are HK people planning to go?
I always find it fascinating to find out where ex-HK, ex-Shenzen, those sort of people end up.
And worry when they go back.
Most people end up going to UK, or Canada, or other country in the free world.
Many industrialized countries welcome the skilled professionals that are fleeing Hong Kong because of the value of the human capital they bring, in addition to their financial capital/resources (nearly everyone who has the means to is emigrating away - but this is mostly among the Hong Kong locals who lack a foreign passport or only have a BN(Overseas) passport).

Back