Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/us-chips-found-in-russian-missiles.16468/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

US Chips found in Russian Missiles

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
FPGAs are key to weapons systems it seems. Are these commercial or military grade chips?

XILINX chips

— Iskander 9M727 BALLISTIC MISSILE
XC4036XLA
HQ208AKP0723
F2368107A
09I

— KH-101 CRUISE MISSILE
Spartan XCV150
PQ240AFPO437
D1149990A
FPGA Virtex Field
Spartan XCV150
PO240AMS0917
D2151571A
Spartan XCV150
PQ240AFPO437
D1149990A
XC2V1000
FGG256A
4C
Spartan XC2S200
FGG456AMS1503
F2121272A

INTEL/ALTERA chips
-- Kh-59MK MISSILE
ACEX
EP1K5001208-2N"

-- ISKANDER 9M727 MISSILE
Cyclone
EP1C3T14417N
L HCE951049A
EPM7128SQI100-18N
W HEJ241049A VEJ2483016 3N2WA0Z0M
EPM7128SQI100-10
EPG10K30AQ1240-3NS
HCA511213A

-- ISKANDER 9M723 MISSILE
EPM7160STI100-10N
W HDC241281A
VDC24842215
3N2WAQOL

-- Kh-101 MISSILE
35M240BD01
P30692.1

FLEX
EPF10K 30AQI240-3
S CCA510433A

-- TORNADO-S MISSILE
Cyclone II
EP2C8Q20818N
K BBD9Y1801A

-- ORLAN 10 DRONE (image processing unit)
Cyclone
5C3FA7-2317N
BBCAU1731A

Reactions: VCT
Just looking at the first Xylinx part on your list, commercial:

And, just venturing a guess, a shell company in a western country could be ordering hundreds of them, taken to a Russian embassy in a suitcase, and sent to Russia on a diplomatic plane with no search at all. Set up a lot of shell companies that look like commercial start-ups or whatever, and the acquisition of these parts could probably fly under the radar (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the humor) for quite a while.

And, just venturing a guess, a shell company in a western country could be ordering hundreds of them, taken to a Russian embassy in a suitcase, and sent to Russia on a diplomatic plane with no search at all. Set up a lot of shell companies that look like commercial start-ups or whatever, and the acquisition of these parts could probably fly under the radar (I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the humor) for quite a while.

They could also buy consumer electronics and cannibalize them. I don't see anyway to keep chips away from bad actors in the world wide drama. As they say, the best offense is a nuclear defense so we will probably be going back to that.

Well, I think You are not realizing severity of situation... This is not cold war era spy movie. In real world You can buy from sites like Aliexpress for cheap (repurposed, scrapped, stolen) with free worldwide shipping including countries like Russia, Iran or Canada.

This is result of exporting everything to china - currently biggest adversary. Just what You expected from culture openly disrespecting international IP, patents, agreements...

Just search for any devices with regulated export...

They could also buy consumer electronics and cannibalize them. I don't see anyway to keep chips away from bad actors in the world wide drama. As they say, the best offense is a nuclear defense so we will probably be going back to that.
Consumer electronics is generally price sensitive so they are using low cost components. I have seen new designs based 8-bit MCU. So they are generally now fast enough for these use cases. And even when You find faster platform, then there is question of reliability in industrial/aerospace/military applications...

So no, main source is china. Repurposed consumer products are just smoke and mirrors...

FPGAs are key to weapons systems it seems. Are these commercial or military grade chips?
You do get the feeling that Russia would quite happily build military systems with commerical grade chips. Quality and health and safety weren't really priorities in the Warsaw Pact countries after WWII - only quantity and cost - and I'd be surprised if the culture has changed dramatically since then in Russia.

Well, I think You are not realizing severity of situation... This is not cold war era spy movie. In real world You can buy from sites like Aliexpress for cheap (repurposed, scrapped, stolen) with free worldwide shipping including countries like Russia, Iran or Canada.

This is result of exporting everything to china - currently biggest adversary. Just what You expected from culture openly disrespecting international IP, patents, agreements...

Just search for any devices with regulated export...

Consumer electronics is generally price sensitive so they are using low cost components. I have seen new designs based 8-bit MCU. So they are generally now fast enough for these use cases. And even when You find faster platform, then there is question of reliability in industrial/aerospace/military applications...

So no, main source is china. Repurposed consumer products are just smoke and mirrors...

The shell company part of my post was intended to be mostly humor, if somewhat plausible humor. I came up with it in about 30 seconds, and I'm sure if the Russians wanted to procure FPGAs they could come up with a better plan than I did off the top of my head.

I see but point is that You don't need any schemes/plans. You can steal US chips easier than ordering book on Amazon.

Just buy what You need from china and they will deliver it for free even to countries under sanctions.

It's no big secret that scrap US military hardware often ends up dumped in China for recycling. This been continuing for the last 20 years.

Round PCBs with LTCC packaged top tier FPGAs, and RF parts from 20-30 years ago, and military connectors are everywhere in Chinese scrap markets.

Some even have "PROPERTY OF US GOVERNMENT. NOT FOR EXPORT OR RESALE" in bold letters on them. Those were seeminy from military GPS receivers, with tamper proof packaged chips on them.

Last edited:
Back