Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-to-spend-100-billion-over-three-years-to-grow-capacity.13992/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC to Spend $100 Billion Over Three Years to Grow Capacity

prime007

Remember the big news a couple years ago that Samsung would invest $115 billion in its foundry business by 2030? No? Here's a refresher.

Or Intel recently planning to invest $20 billion to build two new chipmaking plants in Arizona? No? Here's the story.

OK...so we just got TSMC's response...TSMC says plans to invest $100 billion over next 3 years to meet chip demand

“We are entering a period of higher growth as the multiyear megatrends of 5G and high-performance computing are expected to fuel strong demand for our semiconductor technologies in the next several years,” the company said in a statement to Reuters.

“In addition, the COVID-19 pandemic also accelerates digitalization in every aspect,” it said.

What is it that Daniel Nenni always says? TSMC only builds capacity based on demand (wafer agreements)? One word....WOW! 🤯

Last edited:
Intel says $20B, TSMC says $100B.

Remember this:

"In fact, looking back, it reminds me of the famous sleeping giant quote: “I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve”. The sleeping giant is the fabless semiconductor ecosystem of course."

Intel has awaken the giant, absolutely.

I'm wandering if any new fabs will be built at additional new locations, outside of Taiwan and the Arizona site announced last year.

Exactly. What a hypocrite! Everybody should just stop building, because I will build for all.
I think the second hand writer wrote that Tomshardware.com article mentioned by Prime007 can mislead people. Dr. Liu actually said that it's not economical and sustainable for all and every country/region to build a fab with a goal to satisfy their own needs.

He said it will create a situation with excessive capacity and it won't be profitable.

The Taiwanese news media quoted what Dr. Liu said in Chinese are more accurate.

Exactly. What a hypocrite! Everybody should just stop building, because I will build for all.

Mark is not a hypocrite, I can tell you that. Something got lost in translation. Mark is, however, against the IDM foundry model and for good reason. You can see more detail about that here:

That wasn't my intention...I actually have a high opinion of TSMC management. I was just trying to answer hist78's question as quickly as possible. I typically link the source of my information so everyone can see where I got my understanding/perspective from & judge for themselves.

Mark is not a hypocrite, I can tell you that. Something got lost in translation. Mark is, however, against the IDM foundry model and for good reason. You can see more detail about that here:

Sorry I may have used too strong language on a respected industry leader. It is impossible to not respect TSMC for its technological prowess, relentless focus and leadership. But in today's world, chip building is already beyond simple economics. Chips are the new oil for the new economies. Every country, including EU and NA, has its rights to protect its foundation for its economy, maybe not all 100%, but as much as possible.

This is a screenshot of a possible Dr. C. C. Wei's letter sent to selected TSMC's customers that's revealed by various news reports. I can't verify if the letter shown here is identical to the original one.

CC Wei Letter - 202103-m.png

This letter is authentic. It really does show the TRUST side of TSMC. Given all of the promises from Intel and Samsung, this is the best TSMC strategy moving forward. Build massive amounts of affordable fab capacity and deliver on said capacity promises to customers. It will be interesting to see TSMC's utilization numbers from 2019, 2020, and 2021. I bet 2021 will in fact be 100% utilization.

"""
However, Liu said that it is "economically unrealistic" for all countries to "onshore" additional chip production, warning that this could lead to more unprofitable capacity.
"""

This is the report about TSMC chair's comments by NiKKei Asia on April 1, 2021. Actually, he was saying no to Japan's invitation to build an advanced fab since TSMC has set up the plan in Taiwan and AZ. TSMC just cannot meet all countries’ onshore needs.

Back