Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-sending-first-batch-of-300-people-on-charter-flight-to-phoenix.17086/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC sending first batch of 300 people on charter flight to Phoenix

tonyget

The cover story of Taiwan's latest issue of "Business Weekly" "Directly hit TSMC's 300-person chartered flight, unveiling the U.S. crystal war", records that the first batch of TSMC employees moved to Phoenix, USA with their families. "Business Weekly" reported that TSMC announced in May 2020 that it will set up a factory in Arizona, USA. Now the local factory has been partially completed, and the first charter flight transported 300 Taiwanese employees to Phoenix, Arizona. Among them are singles, most of whom are families , Employees between the ages of 30 and 40 brought children from elementary school to junior high school to the new environment. Most of the employees on this charter flight have worked in TSMC for a long time. The US factory is a new challenge for them and an opportunity to change their lives.

"Business Weekly" reported that the opportunity for a new life for TSMC employees this time comes from the "Chip Act" promoted by the US government and semiconductor manufacturing business opportunities. In the future, TSMC will have 6 chartered flights to send more than 1,000 Taiwanese engineers to Arizona. These employees will start a new life in the community arranged by TSMC, which they call "TSMC Village". In early December, the factory will welcome the ceremony for the arrival of the first batch of machines and equipment. Now all progress is in full swing.

The Mexican food here is wonderful. Just have to get used to the weather.
I've had good Arizonan food.

The weather being hot and dry could be a noticeable difference but the business language (Chinese vs. English) is where the even subtle cultural differences matter most.

Last edited:
This is probably generating jealousy among the Mainlanders, for free people to travel around the world like this. Since it is so not what is happening in the Mainland.

I used to work for a chemical company with a branch in TW. The overseas folks would sometimes visit offices in AZ or NM, which is about a 20 hour flight from Taipai. 5 hours to Narita, 10 hours to LA, 5 hours to reach PHX or ABQ (due to customs and wait for flights). Unrestricted movement through free countries and states, routine.

Ah, freedom.

This is probably generating jealousy among the Mainlanders, for free people to travel around the world like this. Since it is so not what is happening in the Mainland.

I used to work for a chemical company with a branch in TW. The overseas folks would sometimes visit offices in AZ or NM, which is about a 20 hour flight from Taipai. 5 hours to Narita, 10 hours to LA, 5 hours to reach PHX or ABQ (due to customs and wait for flights). Unrestricted movement through free countries and states, routine.

Ah, freedom.

Is that right?I don't think you speak for the Taiwanese majority. Because from what I have heard on Taiwanese internet,this event is not well perceived among Taiwanese people at all.

This is just some example

Actually,all posts and videos relate to this event,there is overwhelmingly negative comments left by Taiwanese. Apparently,people in Taiwan see this as a threat.

These TSMC employees are not "traveling" to the US,they are "emigrating" to the US. They have brought family members and pets along with them,and their children are going to enroll in local school,the US government will also grant them citizenship. They are not going back to TW,they are there to stay,the US will be their new home.

Last edited:
Is that right?I don't think you speak for the Taiwanese majority. Because from what I have heard on Taiwanese internet,this event is not well perceived among Taiwanese people at all.

Actually,all posts and videos relate to this event,there is overwhelmingly negative comments left by Taiwanese. Apparently,people in Taiwan see this as a threat.

These TSMC employees are not "traveling" to the US,they are "emigrating" to the US. They have brought family members and pets along with them,and their children are going to enroll in local school,the US government will also grant them citizenship. They are not going back to TW,they are there to stay,the US will be their new home.
If true, they are filling most of the positions supposedly for local hires.

If true, they are filling most of the positions supposedly for local hires.

Not a problem right?These experienced semiconductor engineers are high sought after all across the global,it is in the US's interest that these talents retained in America. The ability to attract top talents from the world to the US,is the fundation of American competitiveness.

Not a problem right?These experienced semiconductor engineers are high sought after all across the global,it is in the US's interest that these talents retained in America. The ability to attract top talents from the world to the US,is the fundation of American competitiveness.
I don't know if hiring Americans was supposed to be a major part of the deal. Certainly spirit of CHIPS was like that.

If they want to speed up the project,then they have to make compromise on things like hiring locals.
1000 engineers isn't very many for a large fab complex. I believe my midsize fab is well over 3000. This engineers are going to act as a seed crystal for the local engineers and technicians to grow with. Even though they've been sending people over for a bit over a year now, one year of experience is nothing in this industry. It allows you to do a bit more than the bare minimum. These engineers are here to help the local talent with those things that only someone with 5-10 years of experience could figure out in a timely manner.

1000 engineers isn't very many for a large fab complex. I believe my midsize fab is well over 3000. This engineers are going to act as a seed crystal for the local engineers and technicians to grow with. Even though they've been sending people over for a bit over a year now, one year of experience is nothing in this industry. It allows you to do a bit more than the bare minimum. These engineers are here to help the local talent with those things that only someone with 5-10 years of experience could figure out in a timely manner.
This brings in the second phase of culture shock, from work culture differences.

They can hire experienced staff from Intel as well.

Last edited:
With over 1000 vacancies in Taiwan coming up, there should be some news here about hiring the replacements, we'll see.

【新聞】頭一遭千人大遷移!台積電包機飛美 - Gossiping板 - Disp BBS
晶圓代工龍頭台積電美國亞利桑那州廠,將在12月上旬舉行盛大的首部機台移機典禮,根據 商業周刊報導,在11月初一群台積電員工攜家帶眷,上演舉家大搬遷飛往美國鳳凰城,這是 台積電第一班把將近300名員工送
disp.cc

“Actually,all posts and videos relate to this event,there is overwhelmingly negative comments left by Taiwanese. Apparently,people in Taiwan see this as a threat.”

Those comments were posted on a gossip website that is well-known in Taiwan as a lunching pad for attacking political opponents and spreading false information. It has close to zero credibility.

It's also my hope that we can spend zero minute to discuss issues based on those rubbish.

With over 1000 vacancies in Taiwan coming up, there should be some news here about hiring the replacements, we'll see.

The 1000 people mentioned in the news report are employees and their families. The actual number of TSMC staff is probably between 250 and 350.

bro,

your first link news source is from China Times.

your video is from Chung T'ien Television. both are well know "red media" in Taiwan.

btw, your video is a political talk show that is heavy pro China. the guests on that show are all talking heads for pro China. its fine if you want to post one-side view point on the whole matter. its really trash if that's how you want to play it.

"red media" is not Taiwan. they don't have the best interests for Taiwanese.

both news sources belong to Want Want with deep ties to China.

Want Want is well know as "red media" in Taiwan. hell, Taiwanese even have a protest against "red media".
and Chung T'ien Television got their broadcast license canceled in Taiwan.

I don't know what you trying to say. your news sources is questionable and most likely fake.

Last edited:
Back