Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-phoneix-arizona-fab-construction-update.17955/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Phoneix Arizona Fab Construction Update

It doesn’t matter, but I must say I’m not a big fan of the architectural choices made. I think Fab18 and 12 have much nicer looking offices, I also think their shells look nicer too. Samsung has a very striking ascetic for their shells. Intel sites generally look a bit wonky given the ages, but NM/IR/the old joint Micron fab are my favorite intel sites from an ascetics perspective.

It doesn’t matter, but I must say I’m not a big fan of the architectural choices made. I think Fab18 and 12 have much nicer looking offices, I also think their shells look nicer too. Samsung has a very striking ascetic for their shells. Intel sites generally look a bit wonky given the ages, but NM/IR/the old joint Micron fab are my favorite intel sites from an ascetics perspective.
TSMC is very utilitarian in my estimation. Fits with their corporate culture lol

I have been through quite a few fabs in my 40 years and I have never been impressed by architectural choices. Seeing them via drone however is quite a different perspective. I am now duly impressed.

@hist78, thanks for sharing. I've been to many fabs but this is beyond impressive. Thrilled to see ever stronger US-Taiwan partnership!

@hist78, thanks for sharing. I've been to many fabs but this is beyond impressive. Thrilled to see ever stronger US-Taiwan partnership!

You are welcome!

Some random thoughts:

1. I don't know what measuring system (metric vs English) Intel uses in its fabs. I assume for consistency, accuracy, and efficiency, TSMC will use as much metric system as possible in building construction, equipments, operations, and manufacturing.

2. A big portion of property tax in Arizona and Texas are used for K to 12 education. Hope TSMC will not demand local school districts to subside TSMC's fab projects. TSMC has an opportunity to show the world that they are different and they do care children's education.

3. The phase 2 of TSMC Phoneix Arizona fab seems progressing very well. It should be able to go live in 2026 as planned.

Feels like just yesterday they announced they were coming to Arizona, and now there’s a whole fab right there. Incredible.

Where’s the update videos for Intel Fab 52 & 62?

2. A big portion of property tax in Arizona and Texas are used for K to 12 education. Hope TSMC will not demand local school districts to subside TSMC's fab projects. TSMC has an opportunity to show the world that they are different and they do care children's education.
See another article about TSMC's struggle to hire enough qualified people in Taiwan, they actually invest in educating high school students about semiconductors!

Three years ago, TSMC announced its intention to invest billions to build a fab in Arizona. Since then, we have announced our further commitment to bringing the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing to the U.S., including the announcement that TSMC Arizona’s first fab would produce N4 process technology by 2024 and the announcement that we have started the construction of a second fab that would produce 3nm process technology by 2026. Our total investment in Arizona is now $40 billion, making TSMC’s investment the largest foreign direct investment in Arizona history. Phase 1 is on track and on schedule to start production in late 2024 and we are currently in the process of moving-in and installing tools—including EUV tools, deposition systems, and wafer cleaning tools—into the fab. When operational, this will be the most advanced chip-manufacturing process technology on U.S. soil and our customers will benefit from having the proximity of a world-class foundry and the supply chain that surrounds this industry.

The below photo of the TSMC Arizona office building was taken in Q1 2023.

TSMC AZ.jpg

Intel Ohio Update:

Intel Ohio Update.jpg

This week, Intel Corporation’s Ohio One construction teams began to pour more than 1,500 cubic yards of concrete, signaling our official shift into the next phase of #construction in the Silicon Heartland. I am very proud of our team and construction crew members for reaching this project milestone.

Our Ohio One site is reported to be the largest single private sector company investment in Ohio’s history — one that will create of tens of thousands of jobs across the state. This site is critical to our strategy to expand U.S. leading-edge semiconductor capabilities and develop a more resilient #semiconductor supply chain. As we begin setting the foundation for our future leading-edge factories, I want to thank our Intel team members, suppliers, partners, and the communities across the #BuckeyeState who are all involved in this project for making great progress on the site as we build a vibrant Intel future in Ohio. #IAmIntel #OhioOne #SiliconHeartland #Manufacturing

Reactions: VCT
Three years ago, TSMC announced its intention to invest billions to build a fab in Arizona. Since then, we have announced our further commitment to bringing the most advanced semiconductor manufacturing to the U.S., including the announcement that TSMC Arizona’s first fab would produce N4 process technology by 2024 and the announcement that we have started the construction of a second fab that would produce 3nm process technology by 2026. Our total investment in Arizona is now $40 billion, making TSMC’s investment the largest foreign direct investment in Arizona history. Phase 1 is on track and on schedule to start production in late 2024 and we are currently in the process of moving-in and installing tools—including EUV tools, deposition systems, and wafer cleaning tools—into the fab. When operational, this will be the most advanced chip-manufacturing process technology on U.S. soil and our customers will benefit from having the proximity of a world-class foundry and the supply chain that surrounds this industry.

The below photo of the TSMC Arizona office building was taken in Q1 2023.

View attachment 1197
An interesting article that offers a binger picture of all these exciting activities in the semiconductor field: How real is America’s chipmaking renaissance? https://www.economist.com/business/2023/08/07/how-real-is-americas-chipmaking-renaissance

Back