Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-pay-in-the-usa-comparison.16116/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Pay in the USA Comparison:

Daniel Nenni

Admin
Staff member
According to the SemiWiki job board the average TSMC job post gets 1k clicks versus our general average of 600 clicks so I guess money isn't everything.

TSMC Pay in USA.jpg

WHY TSMC
A CAREER –
you get to work with lots of smart peers around the globe and to win together in a challenging and competitive world.WHY TSMC
A COMPANY –
matters to the world, to unleash innovation with all the other innovators.
A WORKPLACE –
provides development, latest technology, sense of belonging and responsibilities.
Explore Careers
As one of the leading companies of the industry, we welcome talents with different background to join us. As long as you have the same passion to pursue excellence like we do, you will find your fit.

This is probably not an apple to apple type of comparison. The mix of engineers at Microsoft, Intel and TSMC is very different with the share of software engineers and EEs decreasing in this order. Obviously Microsoft does not have any FAB engineers and most TSMC engineers are FAB engineers.

As lilo777 said this isn't quite apples to apples yet there is a wide sharing of talent among this group. In part because it's a US-centric group (welcome to the growing club of US mega-tech businesses TSMC!)
Currently Samsung is being drained. Apple, Microsoft, Tesla, Intel, TI all hired Samsung fab employees (that I am directly aware of). The chart makes clear why this is (money money money, oh yeah).
It does make me wonder what fab employees do at Apple or Microsoft, yet it's been my direct experience. More than one offs.

And another thing, the Glassdoor cash compensation data looks very low as corporate averages for the top three companies. And leaving off stock compensation will skew their numbers too, since a large factor in their offers is usually stock. I don't know if it's that way at TSMC too; does anyone?

The US has much higher income and capital gain tax compare to Taiwan,so you cannot just look at pre-tax salary and stock option for empolyees

In Taiwan nobody gives stocks as salary

TSMC does give stocks or stock options to employees. To avoid diluting the general shareholders' equity, TSMC even buys back shares from open market to offset the number of shares they gave to employees.

We are not talking about TSMC alone, but companies in East Asia in general. In TW, I remember the securities supervision commission was trying to actually coax companies into giving shares to employees like 7-8 years ago on the wave of "CSR hysteria," but nothing came out of that, and likely due to intense lobbying against that.

And people who do get to become early investors in Asia barely sell. Even people who got Samsung's or GoldStar's stock in eighties are still sitting on whatever insignificant amounts of shares despite them being able to become instant millionaires if they were to cash out even small portion of that.

In my family, there is gold encrusted tea cup box of some big lord guy with some seal stamped on it going from generation to generation since 18th century. It was worth a fortune during Qing, quite something in republic's time, but now it's just a half rotten piece of wood with few carats of gold on it. No antiquary recognises any value in it, because nobody alive today even knows the backstory outside of our family.

Same with anonymous shareholders of all those Japanese/Taiwanese/Korean conglomerates who sat on double digit percentage shares of these companies since eighties, and doing nothing. People who had few percents shares of Hyundai, and Daewoo could have became USD billionaires if they cashed out in nineties, on the peak of Asian bubble, yet they chose to keep.

Last edited:
We are not talking about TSMC alone, but companies in East Asia in general. In TW, I remember the securities supervision commission was trying to actually coax companies into giving shares to employees like 7-8 years ago on the wave of "CSR hysteria," but nothing came out of that, and likely due to intense lobbying against that.

And people who do get to become early investors in Asia barely sell. Even people who got Samsung's or GoldStar's stock in eighties are still sitting on whatever insignificant amounts of shares despite them being able to become instant millionaires if they were to cash out even small portion of that.

In my family, there is gold encrusted tea cup box of some big lord guy with some seal stamped on it going from generation to generation since 18th century. It was worth a fortune during Qing, quite something in republic's time, but now it's just a half rotten piece of wood with few carats of gold on it. No antiquary recognises any value in it, because nobody alive today even knows the backstory outside of our family.

Same with anonymous shareholders of all those Japanese/Taiwanese/Korean conglomerates who sat on double digit percentage shares of these companies since eighties, and doing nothing. People who had few percents shares of Hyundai, and Daewoo could have became USD billionaires if they cashed out in nineties, on the peak of Asian bubble, yet they chose to keep.

Many companies in Taiwan offer their employees, key engineers/staffs, and executives stock options, performance based stock awards, or restricted stocks. This is a common practice in the semiconductor, telecom/Internet, and biotech industries in Taiwan

I haven't looked into other Asian countries yet but I believe the practice mentioned above are also very common in Japan, Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia, and Thailand.

Last edited:
TSMC actually recently approved of an employee stock purchase plan that subsidizes employee purchases of TSMC stock by 15%. Employees of TSMC and its fully owned subsidiaries would be allowed to allocate 15-20% of their monthly salaries for stock purchases. This plan will take effect in August or September.

Glassdoor data is absolutely incorrect. SEC actually have median employee compensation disclosure.

The median pay for Alphabet employees rose 8% to $295,884 in 2021
The median total compensation of Intel's roughly 121,000 employee-base being $104,400,
Facebook: the median of the annual total compensation of all employees of our company (other than our CEO) was $292,785

TSMC will for sure offer very similar compensation to Intel. However, for American, Intel have better brand name than TSMC so it will be easier for Intel to recruit.

Last edited:
Glassdoor data is absolutely incorrect. SEC actually have median employee compensation disclosure.

The median pay for Alphabet employees rose 8% to $295,884 in 2021
The median total compensation of Intel's roughly 121,000 employee-base being $104,400,
Facebook: the median of the annual total compensation of all employees of our company (other than our CEO) was $292,785

TSMC will for sure offer very similar compensation to Intel. However, for American, Intel have better brand name than TSMC so it will be easier for Intel to recruit.

TSMC in Taiwan is nowhere near Intel, and Intel is likely puts $104k as a median without counting its overseas fabs.

TSMC actually recently approved of an employee stock purchase plan that subsidizes employee purchases of TSMC stock by 15%. Employees of TSMC and its fully owned subsidiaries would be allowed to allocate 15-20% of their monthly salaries for stock purchases. This plan will take effect in August or September.

That's interesting. Quite unusual of the TSMC. I think this may be more of a PR move, them telling everybody of their confidence in coming growth.

The TSMC ESPP: I recall the same terms, 15% discount on shares from salary deferral, at another company, so it sounds real to me, and also typical.

Alphabet median salary is $300K: Seems excessive? Keep something in mind though. It’s a cloud salary, but clouds are real: The increase in electricity demand is real (flat since 2008, surging this summer, with bad consequences predicted), the increase in demand for chips, EDA software, all of it. So to some degree that one salary creates 10 more.

Back