Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-ex-coo-dr-sy-chiang-will-rejoin-smic-as-vice-chairman-but-co-ceo-dr-ms-liang-just-quit-ceo-in-board-meeting.13402/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

tsmc ex-COO Dr. SY Chiang will rejoin SMIC as Vice Chairman but Co-CEO Dr. MS Liang just quit CEO in board meeting

Another:

Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corporation (SMIC), China's biggest chipmaker, said Wednesday it was trying to confirm Chinese state media reports that its co-CEO Liang Mong Song had resigned, apparently in protest at the appointment of Chiang Shang-Yi, the former co-COO of Taiwanese chipmaker TSMC, to the board.

SMIC didn't say which media reports it was referring to, but in a statement to the Shanghai Stock Exchange it said that it had known about Liang's "willingness to resign under certain conditions."

"The company is currently actively verifying Dr. Liang's true intention to resign with him, and any further announcements on the above matters will be made in due course," the company added in its statement.

In Mr. Liang's alleged resignation letter, it stated that SMIC will start 7nm risk production in April 2021. Not sure how real it is. If it's so promising then there should have less urgency to bring in Dr. Chiang to SMIC.

On the other hand, SMIC should know hiring Mr. Chiang might trigger Mr. Liang's resignation. Why SMIC still chose to do so?

Last edited:
In Mr. Liang's alleged resignation letter, it stated that SMIC will start 7nm risk production in April 2021. Not sure how real it is. If it's so promising then there should have less urgency to bring in Dr. Chiang to SMIC.

On the other hand, SMIC should know hiring Mr. Chiang might trigger Mr. Liang's resignation. Why SMIC still chose to do so?

I have zero information on SMIC 7nm. I have asked around but nothing has been disclosed. Even my friends have not seen it yet. Such a mystery.

Hi, i think We need some clarification on this topic as i think SMIC 7nm was created by misinterpretation of mostly western mainstream media... By their misunderstanding of what N+1 means here.

Because from what i heard i found that when SMIC is talking about N+1 they are not talking about 7nm. They are actually talking either about 12nm (as slightly improved 14) or 10nm (although it will not be as high jump as TSMC N10).

Also i heard that they are not building any new capacity for this purpose. They will use N14 equipment for N+1 with close to 0 upgrades.

Also production on 14nm is less than 1% (heard that it is actually close to 0.1%) which contradicts rumors that Huawei went full SMIC (also spreaded by some western media).

Can anyone confirm it?

1608207157349.png

1608207355747.png

Hi, i think We need some clarification on this topic as i think SMIC 7nm was created by misinterpretation of mostly western mainstream media... By their misunderstanding of what N+1 means here.

Because from what i heard i found that when SMIC is talking about N+1 they are not talking about 7nm. They are actually talking either about 12nm (as slightly improved 14) or 10nm (although it will not be as high jump as TSMC N10).

Also i heard that they are not building any new capacity for this purpose. They will use N14 equipment for N+1 with close to 0 upgrades.

Also production on 14nm is less than 1% (heard that it is actually close to 0.1%) which contradicts rumors that Huawei went full SMIC (also spread by some western media).

Can anyone confirm it?

N+1 = 12nm, this makes much more sense than 7nm. Thank you. I am also surprised that 14nm is such a small portion of SMIC revenue. Is this a yield issue? Is 14nm still on the ramp? Or is there no demand in China for 14nm? That is very hard to believe. I will check into this.

SMIC has been sanctioned... Chinese companies will not be doing business with SMIC unless they only want to focus on domestic products, which, again, are less likely anything better than 14nm node. The sanction directly led to UMC’s ridiculous rise for the past weeks. This might also be the reason why we see Robert Tsao happily shook hands with Morris.

Also production on 14nm is less than 1% (heard that it is actually close to 0.1%) which contradicts rumors that Huawei went full SMIC (also spreaded by some western media).

Can anyone confirm it?

This is Dr Liang's resignation letter,it clearly states that 7nm risk production will start in April 2021

jaURj2.png

I think Dr. Chiang was doped to join the recently failed HSMC (Hongxin Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation) in Wuhan China. HSMC claimed to raise US$20 billion investment but it ran out unknown amount of money before closing their door. According to news reports, Dr. Chiang described that was a terrible experience.

Is there any possibility that he has been doped again to join SMIC?

Last edited:
I think Dr. Chiang was doped to join the recently failed HSMC (Hongxin Semiconductor Manufacturing Corporation) in Wuhan China. HSMC claimed to raise US$20 billion investment but it ran out unknown amount of money before closing their door. According to news reports, Dr. Chiang described that was a terrible experience.

Forget about the company names, all are government funded and it would be clear to see the story behind.

Well, the talk is they ran out of money long before any sanctions touched them, and the fab is nowhere near the state it should be given the amount of money spent on it.

My bet, the money went the usual way money go in state companies, and sanctions were just very convenient to put the blame on for few billions of capital vanishing in thin air.

Back