Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-arizona-%E2%80%9Cfirst-tool-in-ceremony%E2%80%9D-fact-sheet.17163/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC Arizona “First Tool-In Ceremony”: Fact Sheet

I was wondering where did Pat Gelsinger go during the celebration. No matter what, TSMC has been an Intel's important partner since Intel's founders were still in charge 30+ years ago. He can be there.

Now I know that when TSMC's Chairman, CEO, Founder, and top leadership went to Arizona for the "first tool-in" celebration, Pat Gelsinger went opposite direction to Taiwan.

He went to meet CC Wei. It was discussed at the GSA event. CEO to CEO meet. One thing I can tell you about TSMC is that they do not forget. There is no such thing as a frenemy or coopititian as Intel believes they are. Too many things have been said. Intel has no leverage. They had to put a big pile of money down for N3 that they may not get back. I would not be surprised if this deal goes legal. It will definitely be something we study in the future, absolutely!

Last edited:
He went to meet CC Wei. It was discussed at the GSA event. CEO to CEO meet. One thing I can tell you about TSMC is that they do not forget. There is no such thing as a frenemy or coopititian as Intel believes they are. Too many things have been said. Intel has no leverage. They had to put a big pile of money down for N3 that they may not get back. I would not be surprised if this deal goes legal. It will definitely be something we study in the future, absolutely!
I have been wondering how TSMC was feeling about Intel trying to encroach on the foundry space while simultaneously grovelling for capacity. Surely TSMC does not take kindly to the threat and will put Intel over the proverbial barrel so to speak in any business relationship.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that one of those guys brought TSMC to AZ.
You inspired me to go back and look at the history. According to most sources, the AZ fab has been in the works for 9 year, since 2013:

Timeline 2013-2021: How the TSMC Arizona deal came together (Dec 30, 2021)​

TSMC has been in the works for nearly eight years. This timeline tracks key milestones and quotes from those involved along the way from when the massive factory in north Phoenix was first discussed to the present day, as new suppliers prepare to open facilities in the Valley to support the semiconductor plant that is expected to begin production in 2024.

The May 2020 announcements by the US Commerce Department and by TSMC, focused on TSMC's willingness to build a fab in AZ, but there

TSMC Ariz Fab a Tangled Web​

Judith Cheng, Chief Editor of EE Times & EDN Taiwan/Asia, pointed out in her story that TSMC, in announcing the company’s decision, cited TSMC’s “willingness” to set up a factory in the United States. Why not call it a “plan”? It’s a subtle difference but it hints that negotiations between TSMC and the US and Arizona governments might be far from over. As our original news story by Taiwan correspondent Alan Patterson shows, TSMC didn’t disclose the terms of the agreement with Arizona and the United States.

Groundbreaking and first construction was June 2021, so my take is that TSMC didn't cross the finish line until the current administration closed the deal.

From the same Alan Patterson on 5/21/2021:

"TAIPEI – U.S. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer and two other Democratic Party senators have called for a suspension of a planned project by Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. (TSMC) to build a chip plant in the state of Arizona.

The latest move by the senators is a further evidence that politics continues to haunt TSMC, as EE Times surmised."

Schumer wanted funds to go to Global Foundries.

So my take is that you took a political cheap shot (no change of opinion) and you are now reaching to justify it.

Yup, there was some jockeying for funds. But three Senators can't change much and Schumer doesn't run the Department of Commerce as far as I can tell. Construction on phase 1 in AZ started the next month, with equipment starting to go into the shell now, and a second unit on the way.

Back to my original point - do you want to wager on which presidential backed project is going to start producing manufactured goods and jobs at the level promised first ? Will it be Foxconn, Wisconsin or TSMC, Arizona ? I know which one I'm betting on and exactly why the first one flopped and and the second one is on path to success.

So Micron expansion to NY and GF moving to Malta, NY has nothing to do with Schumer, huh?

I do not recall criticizing TSMC's expansion (12B => 40B) here. Quite the opposite. I hope they make Taiwan the 51st state. I just didn't like bringing in the Foxconn venture as a comparison and the political attack. This will lead to a pissing contest. I did the same when somebody we know dissed a Florida Senator, although that got me out of my read-only mode after 12 years, so maybe that was a good thing.

Presidential backed? Wow. Joe Bunny Suit Biden. Isn't he dreamy...

Back