Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/tsmc-2q20-record-profits-discussion.12785/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

TSMC 2Q20 Record Profits Discussion

This article's author felt TSMC's second half 2020 revenue forecast is too optimistic. But in the contract foundry business, TSMC should be able to know very well for the rest of the year at such late stage, the middle of the July.
As cycle time for advanced node wafer manufacturing becomes more than 3 months, it could make TSM easier to foresee business for next quarter or even half year in advanced nodes which weight more than 50% in revenue. I would expect TSM's financial quarter guideline will be getting more accurate and less fluctuation.

TSMC market value reached $383bn on Friday as Intel fell to just $214bn.... Honestly I never thought I would see this day, but I still say the Intel is the semiconductor GOAT (greatest of all time), absolutely.

TSMC gets large Intel chip order, Apple R&D plant - reports

IMO, last week when Intel told the world they're contemplating to outsourcing part of of their advanced chips manufacturing to foundries, they actually meant they already did that.

IMO, last week when Intel told the world they're contemplating to outsourcing part of of their advanced chips manufacturing to foundries, they actually meant they already did that.
Haven't seen the report in the Commercial Times though. Intel hadn't made the announcement either, still focused on 10nm releases to next year. Actually Intel needs to first have a 7nm TSMC order to test run first, 6nm is supposed to match that result afterwards.

Last edited:
I'm looking into this. Intel is a big TSMC customer due mostly to acquisitions. No way is this for CPUs but possibly GPUs, FPGAs, or AIPs. The AIPs from Habana are already made at TSMC. I asked Scott Jones to do a cost difference for TSMC 6nm and Intel 10nm. I think TSMC has the density edge but cost I'm not sure of the delta. With Intel 7nm delayed they will need all of the 10nm capacity for CPUs? And we are talking about big die so 180,000 wafers is not as big of a number that it appears to be.

180000 wafers is a small order for a company the size of intel. I wonder what the size of Apple orders are? I'll say this a lot of products chromebooks, phones, ereaders that were suppose to be in market by now aren't and there hasn't been a date given.

Back