Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/the-economist-on-autonomous-cars.10203/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

The Economist on autonomous cars

Thanks for the link Bernard, I will definitely buy Economist's latest issue just to read their series on AVs.

I believe AVs will be behind the most profound change we will see in society in the next decade. And I also believe it will grow much faster than anyone is predicting because its advantages will be so massive that no city or country will have the luxury of slowing it down.

In developing countries, the incentives will be even higher, fewer people own cars and those that do spend disproportionately more to own and maintain their vehicles. And in these countries the death tolls are usually higher.

Exciting times ahead. I can say I am holding onto my 4 year old car for a while longer, if value of "dumb" cars will evaporate in 3-4 years, I prefer to just keep my current one hoping it will be the last car I own.

Thinking I may get my next car sooner than expected given possible tariff retaliation on European cars (as an ex-European, I have to stay with European cars :)

Bernard, I wouldn't worry about tariff retaliation, right now most are words for posturing. Notice how threats and leaning on the Chinese are looking like they will bring North Korea to the bargaining table on their nuclear program. A big win for the world if we can bring a true pause to what they are doing.

Back