Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/taiwan-tycoon-pledges-100m-to-defend-island-from-%E2%80%98evil%E2%80%99-china.16498/page-2
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Taiwan tycoon pledges $100m to defend island from ‘evil’ China

Pelosi is doing this for her own domestic political agenda,as Kevin Rudd point it out.

As the Democratic party facing troubles domestically,one way to prevent the support rate from further falling,is to divert the domestic struggle to outside. A common practise used by ruling powers all over the global,nothing new really.

I can't disagree with motivations, Nixon's visit to China had similar "features" (deflect from Vietnam War, etc).

However her visit was still somewhat personally risky to go at this time, and the repercussions of this visit are much bigger than shifting domestic optics.

From now on, both US executive branch and legislative branch will actively pursue decoupling from mainland China. No matter it is Republican or Democrat in charge of the Whitehouse, they will be on the same track to isolate PRC/CCP's influence.

It will be a big show to see how biggest MNC enterprises will be made to chose sides. Previously they did things bordering on treason, were they to act so as private individuals.

US can't get MNCs in line on things as insignificant as taxes. Will they be able to force MNCs into leaving China, and losing double digit of their market valuation in the process?

Pelosi's biggest achievement was exactly to pass this point of no return to force next administration, and the house to continue the anti-mainland line, and no walk back.

The direction is set, but how they will execute on in? Double digit recession in case of China embargo will be a significant political event. Tech scene will be redefined: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple will be erased, and a double digit of NASDAQ with them. Only enterprises with cheap access to silicon will remain.

Last edited:
@tonyget

The translation you posted is not what UMC has said.

Here is my translation and hope it can be more close to the original UMC statement:

"We (UMC) has received various inquiries about Mr. Robert Tsao's relationship with UMC. Mr. Tsao retired from UMC more than ten years ago and has no association with UMC. Hence we have no way to comment it further about his relationship with UMC.

回覆各界詢問有關曹興誠先生與聯電的關係:曹興誠先生十數年前已從聯電退休,與聯電無關,本公司無從評論。

Thank you @hist78 for pointing it out. Your translation is much more accurate. Not sure what motivation Tonyget was having in twisting the meanings of UMC's brief announcement. I do not read any hostility from UMC towards Mr. Tsao in that short sentence, as Tonyget seems to imply.

China is a big market for UMC so this is business as usual. I can assure you that 99.99% of UMC employees support Robert Tsao.

China didn't sanction TSMC, or any other semi, but only Taiwanese pork, and pineapples.

They need microchips way more than food.

It will be a big show to see how biggest MNC enterprises will be made to chose sides. Previously they did things bordering on treason, were they to act so as private individuals.

US can't get MNCs in line on things as insignificant as taxes. Will they be able to force MNCs into leaving China, and losing double digit of their market valuation in the process?

Pelosi's biggest achievement was exactly to pass this point of no return to force next administration, and the house to continue the anti-mainland line, and no walk back.

The direction is set, but how they will execute on in? Double digit recession in case of China embargo will be a significant political event. Tech scene will be redefined: Google, Facebook, Amazon, Apple will be erased, and a double digit of NASDAQ with them. Only enterprises with cheap access to silicon will remain.

I think the US strategy/policy is to implement decoupling at the speed that won't trigger the immediate military confrontation. Multi national companies have known this policy shift for several years and some of them had started adjusting their operations accordingly because it's a long process. For example McDonald's sold its China operations in 2017 to a Chinese business consortium. Or, Walmart moved some of their logistics support and management operations out of PRC.

Although there are some companies that don't read such "virtual memo".

Allegedly last year Pat Gelsinger was excited to inform the Whitehouse that Intel was thinking to use an unused Globalfoundries' fab in Chengdu China to make chips needed by the auto industry.

I think many people, if they have a chance to be asked, will advise Pat Gelsinger not to even mention this "great" idea to Whitehouse at all.

But Pat Gelsinger did it anyway. The Whitehouse's response was predictably negative.

The best way to support TW is to enhance TW's position in semiconductor industry, rather than relocate TW semiconductor industry to the US which would only do more harm than good to TW.

I do not agree. TSMC building fabs in Japan, US, EU, and India would enhance TSMC's geopolitical strength. Those fabs will go dark if TSMC TW is destroyed as insiders know all to well. Hopefully outsiders understand this too.

When I started in semiconductors 40 years ago the work force was all the same. Today semiconductors is one of the most culturally diverse industries we will ever see. It truly has taken the whole world to make semiconductors from start to finish.

I do not agree. TSMC building fabs in Japan, US, EU, and India would enhance TSMC's geopolitical strength. Those fabs will go dark if TSMC TW is destroyed as insiders know all to well. Hopefully outsiders understand this too.

When I started in semiconductors 40 years ago the work force was all the same. Today semiconductors is one of the most culturally diverse industries we will ever see. It truly has taken the whole world to make semiconductors from start to finish.

You worked in semi for longer than I was alive

Thank you @hist78 for pointing it out. Your translation is much more accurate. Not sure what motivation Tonyget was having in twisting the meanings of UMC's brief announcement. I do not read any hostility from UMC towards Mr. Tsao in that short sentence, as Tonyget seems to imply.

Really?I don't think I twisted any thing from UMC‘s announcement

Here is my translation "UMC has nothing to do with Robert TsaoUMC cutoff Tsao long ago"

Here is @hist78 translation "We (UMC) has received various inquiries about Mr. Robert Tsao's relationship with UMC. Mr. Tsao retired from UMC more than ten years ago and has no association with UMC. Hence we have no way to comment it further about his relationship with UMC"

The sentence with same color have exactly the same implication don't you think?

The boss can tell the employee "I don't think you fit the job" or "get the f^k out of here", both implies the same meaning: you are fired.

Not according to Morris Chang,Chang doesn't think building fabs all around the global is a wise decision. As the founder of TSMC,I believe Mr Chang knows what's best for the company.

True, Japan is a great example of aging stability. However they industrialized long ago where for China it's a relatively recent event (from farmers to city dwellers). The problem China will face is taking care of the aging population (food, medical, housing maintenance, etc) while also leaving enough of an economy to keep the youth happy.

“happy youth” is a luxury nowadays in any country. I don't know yong population in any country that don't feel burdened/exhausted,do you?

Not according to Morris Chang,Chang doesn't think building fabs all around the global is a wise decision. As the founder of TSMC,I believe Mr Chang knows what's best for the company.

Morris based his opinion on the Washington TSMC fab experience which is out of date and not relevant today. TSMC is a very different company now. I believe current TSMC management knows what is best for TSMC and moving forward that is to build fabs where top customers want them.

I would definitely donate to this cause. It is time for the international community to start supporting Taiwan more openly. The entire world literally depends on Taiwan for technology that is critical to modern life. What part of that statement do US politicians not understand? If you want to see a real chip shortage let China blockade Taiwan.

A Taiwanese microchip tycoon has pledged $100m (£82m) towards his country’s defenses and urged citizens to stand up to the “evil” Chinese Communist Party.

In a spirited press conference, Robert Tsao said he was donating the money to Taiwan’s defense department to help safeguard “freedom, democracy, and human rights”.

The 75-year-old urged people to “stand up and fight” rather than give way to “unification with a gang of outlaws”.

His comments came hours after China sent ballistic missiles streaking over the Taiwanese mainland, including the capital Taipea, while fighter jets buzzed the island’s defences.

Beijing’s “unprecedented” show of force, which also includes four days of military exercises ending on Sunday, is meant as a punishment after Taiwan hosted a visit from Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the US House of Representatives, earlier this week.

Mr Tsao said the displays of military might showed why Taiwanese voters should not support parties that backed unification with China in upcoming local elections.

He is the founder of United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC), one of the world’s biggest chip makers and Taiwan’s second largest behind Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC).

Mr Tsao urged his fellow citizens to “see through the evil nature of the Chinese Communist Party”, according to Taiwan News.

He said: “The nature of the CCP is rogues acting against the rule of law, and this was manifested by their endless power struggles since 1927, the Cultural Revolution in the 1970s, and persecutions against various groups today.”

He also accused Beijing of “acting so despotically towards Taiwan”, adding: “Perhaps they think Taiwanese people all fear death and covet money?”

The tycoon is one of several business figures to speak up for the island in recent months.

His two sons hold Taiwan citizenship and he has previously revealed that one of them has completed military training while the other is to be trained in the summer.

He said they would both fight if China’s military launches an invasion.

Separately, the boss of TSMC said this week that no one could control the company’s chip foundries “by force”, suggesting that the facilities could be remotely switched off or rendered useless to any occupiers.

Mark Liu, chairman of TSMC, said: “If you take a military force or invasion, you will render the TSMC factory non-operable, because it is such a sophisticated manufacturing facility.”

Responding to recent Chinese military displays, Taiwanese president Tsai Ing-wen has insisted the island will firmly defend its sovereignty.

“We are calm and not impetuous, we are rational and not provocative, but we will also be firm and not shirk,” she said.

Mr Tsao claimed there was little need to speculate over whether China would ultimately use force to take Taiwan.

“They definitely will, but strength is not enough," he told journalists, arguing that the communist leadership in Beijing were "hooligans" who "only believe in violence”.

He pointed to the recent crackdown in Hong Kong and said China had betrayed its promise to allow the former British territory to retain some freedoms under the "One China, Two Systems" policy.

And he predicted that Taiwanese businesspeople would begin to abandon China after years of previous investment.

"I believe all of them will leave, one after the other, because China’s economic prosperity has already passed and domestic troubles will increase going forward, the economy will stop growing, problems with loans will continue to explode, plus locking down cities will cause the economy to decline. Taiwanese businesspeople should leave China’s cities.”
Why when Ma Ing Jeow was the President, we don,t have this issue?? When we spit at, you better know who you spit at.

Pelosi is doing this for her own domestic political agenda,as Kevin Rudd point it out.

As the Democratic party facing troubles domestically,one way to prevent the support rate from further falling,is to divert the domestic struggle to outside. A common practise used by ruling powers all over the global,nothing new really.

As Engineers, we cannot understand the mind of politician.. Why we never trust a lawyer or politician walking behind us? These lots of people are opportunist and worst then "second hand car salesman".

I would definitely donate to this cause. It is time for the international community to start supporting Taiwan more openly. The entire world literally depends on Taiwan for technology that is critical to modern life. What part of that statement do US politicians not understand? If you want to see a real chip shortage let China blockade Taiwan.

A Taiwanese microchip tycoon has pledged $100m (£82m) towards his country’s defenses and urged citizens to stand up to the “evil” Chinese Communist Party.

In a spirited press conference, Robert Tsao said he was donating the money to Taiwan’s defense department to help safeguard “freedom, democracy, and human rights”.

The 75-year-old urged people to “stand up and fight” rather than give way to “unification with a gang of outlaws”.

His comments came hours after China sent ballistic missiles streaking over the Taiwanese mainland, including the capital Taipea, while fighter jets buzzed the island’s defences.

Beijing’s “unprecedented” show of force, which also includes four days of military exercises ending on Sunday, is meant as a punishment after Taiwan hosted a visit from Nancy Pelosi, speaker of the US House of Representatives, earlier this week.

Mr Tsao said the displays of military might showed why Taiwanese voters should not support parties that backed unification with China in upcoming local elections.

He is the founder of United Microelectronics Corporation (UMC), one of the world’s biggest chip makers and Taiwan’s second largest behind Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co (TSMC).

Mr Tsao urged his fellow citizens to “see through the evil nature of the Chinese Communist Party”, according to Taiwan News.

He said: “The nature of the CCP is rogues acting against the rule of law, and this was manifested by their endless power struggles since 1927, the Cultural Revolution in the 1970s, and persecutions against various groups today.”

He also accused Beijing of “acting so despotically towards Taiwan”, adding: “Perhaps they think Taiwanese people all fear death and covet money?”

The tycoon is one of several business figures to speak up for the island in recent months.

His two sons hold Taiwan citizenship and he has previously revealed that one of them has completed military training while the other is to be trained in the summer.

He said they would both fight if China’s military launches an invasion.

Separately, the boss of TSMC said this week that no one could control the company’s chip foundries “by force”, suggesting that the facilities could be remotely switched off or rendered useless to any occupiers.

Mark Liu, chairman of TSMC, said: “If you take a military force or invasion, you will render the TSMC factory non-operable, because it is such a sophisticated manufacturing facility.”

Responding to recent Chinese military displays, Taiwanese president Tsai Ing-wen has insisted the island will firmly defend its sovereignty.

“We are calm and not impetuous, we are rational and not provocative, but we will also be firm and not shirk,” she said.

Mr Tsao claimed there was little need to speculate over whether China would ultimately use force to take Taiwan.

“They definitely will, but strength is not enough," he told journalists, arguing that the communist leadership in Beijing were "hooligans" who "only believe in violence”.

He pointed to the recent crackdown in Hong Kong and said China had betrayed its promise to allow the former British territory to retain some freedoms under the "One China, Two Systems" policy.

And he predicted that Taiwanese businesspeople would begin to abandon China after years of previous investment.

"I believe all of them will leave, one after the other, because China’s economic prosperity has already passed and domestic troubles will increase going forward, the economy will stop growing, problems with loans will continue to explode, plus locking down cities will cause the economy to decline. Taiwanese businesspeople should leave China’s cities.”
UMC has the blessing of state support, but they never reach the pinnacle like TSMC! Why?

He is austute enterprenaur with strong engineering sense. That is the foundation of his success with TSMC. And compare him to Robert Tsoa, Robert cannot hold a candle to Morris.

Back