Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/smic-removes-mentions-of-14nm-node-us-sanctions-at-work.18018/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

SMIC Removes Mentions of 14nm Node: US Sanctions at Work?

soAsian

Semiconductor Manufacturing International Corp., China's largest contract maker of chips, has quietly removed 14nm fabrication technology from the list of its services on its website. The company also did not talk about advanced FinFET-based technologies at its earnings call last week, reports DigiTimes.

this news also make me question if SMIC's 7nm is just a hype from the Chinese media.

SMIC's 7nm was from Techinsight's electronmicroscope inspection report. Is Techinsight a Chinese media?I have no idea

Techinsights is Canadian. SMIC 14nm has been in production for many years so this is odd. SMIC 7nm never made it into HVM as far as I know, at least not with US customers. I did confirm that 14nm and 7nm are no longer on the SMIC technology section of the English version https://www.smics.com/en/site/technology Quite the mystery.

Last edited:
Techinsights is Canadian. SMIC 14nm has been in production for many years so this is odd. SMIC 7nm never made it into HVM as far as I know, at least not with US customers. I did confirm that 14nm and 7nm are no longer on the SMIC technology section of the English version https://www.smics.com/en/site/technology Quite the mystery.
Maybe the advanced SMIC processes -- assuming they exist, especially 7nm -- are now kept under wraps and are for Chinese customers only, to try and avoid further sanctions to fab equipment/tools ?

Back