[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Semiconductor Waste ...

harpoon

After watching a programme on TV about the problem of trash, I wonder what is being done in the semiconductor world to address the waste generated and how material is being used and recycled ?

Firstly, how much recycling is done when ICs are manufactured and packaged (i.e. how much material used is actually from recycled sources) ?

Secondly, how much material is actually wasted and never used, just sitting on shelves ? Do they get recycled effectively ?

And lastly ... to complete the cycle, what is being done to recover materials used (e.g. gold and copper bondwires, plastic packaging ... etc ...) ...

Does anyone have any insights ?

That's an interesting question. I know California has a semiconductor waste reduction law, and did a report on it (see it here: http://www.dtsc.ca.gov/PollutionPrevention/upload/SemiconductorReport.pdf). In addition to solid toxic waste, the fabrication process generates plenty of nasty chemicals that can foul local water sources. So semiconductor waste involves the damage done to the environment from mining, use of petroleum-based plastics, air emissions, water pollution, landfill usage, and exposing people to toxins during the recycling process. Not an especially "green" business. Even the manufacture and disposal of solar panels is pretty low on the 'green' scale compared to turning off the lights. Oh, that reminds me, I probably don't need this lamp on...

A friend of mine worked at a semiconductor fab a while back and they say that the most important training they received was how to evacuate the facilities in record time ...

joking aside ... as this industry grow (together with consumer electronics ...) there must be a recycling path ? Or am I seriously mistaken, i.e. semiconductor is a one way street to the landfill (or oceans) ?

My personal guess is, it could be the total mass (weight) of semiconductor in a given equipment is way less than the total mass (weight) of the equipment itself. People might be more interested to recycle the metal and so on. I remember there is a company (in Singapore) that reprocess the semicon parts and to 'extract' back the gold which could be the only reason why these parts are being worked on. It could be about $$$/Return :). My 2cents.

Back