Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/samsung-launched-an-internal-investigation-%E2%80%93-the-company-suspects-that-the-information-about-the-release-of-suitable-chips-was-overestimated.15561/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Samsung launched an internal investigation – the company suspects that the information about the release of suitable chips was overestimated

If I were TSMC, I'd be asking a huge prepayment for capacity from perennial foundry switcher QCOM. QCOM probably needs to give a prepayment as they have lower priority than Apple, AMD, MTK, etc.

Are they talking about the memory division or the logic side?

"The fact is that the company’s management suspects a forgery of the report on the release of microcircuits by the Samsung Semiconductor Foundry division. Information about the production of 5-, 4- and 3-nm products is now being verified, according to Infostock Daily."

5-4-3 is logic.

Ouch, management drama ahead. It seems possible that key positions will be reshuffled and their roadmap delayed somewhat. From what I understand it would be hard to fake production numbers if customers are expecting fulfillment of booked orders.

Probably a small group, or single individual, if the forgery allegations are true?

Just guessing, it could be similar to some public companies. You look at the income statement. It's profitable. But it just need to raise money all the time.

I was wondering a few years ago when nvidia 8nm was one the the few customers but the product delivered are very few.

Korean boss are very tough and strict. The culture make it difficult to report bad news to the boss.

Just guessing, it could be similar to some public companies. You look at the income statement. It's profitable. But it just need to raise money all the time.

I was wondering a few years ago when nvidia 8nm was one the the few customers but the product delivered are very few.

Korean boss are very tough and strict. The culture make it difficult to report bad news to the boss.
A culture where bad news cannot be freely reported up, so that everyone can help find the fix instead of avoidance, is a culture where quality is hard to maintain. A quality culture is different from a boss-driven culture.

Searching for fraud is likely to entrench more fear and be counter productive. It seems like more boss, not more leadership.

One Korean friend told me that even talking to someone who is just one year older than you. You have to use Korean honorifics.
If he or she consider you be friend, one day they will inform you that we are friend now that you don't need to use honorifics any more.

I was so shock.

One Korean friend told me that even talking to someone who is just one year older than you. You have to use Korean honorifics.
If he or she consider you be friend, one day they will inform you that we are friend now that you don't need to use honorifics any more.

I was so shock.
I believe that is Korean language and culture generally, not specific to Samsung. Japanese has a similar thing, the grammar conjugates verbs according to social respect/age levels. It used to be much stricter in Japan, I know less about Korean. And it is not unique there, when I was young I made the mistake of "tutoi-ing" my colleagues in Paris and got taken aside to explain I must use "vous" even though they were using "tu".

In Japan it used to be applicable to bowing, too. Business card exchange was followed by an interval of careful study so each person could figure out who should bow deeper.

The history has to do with Confucian values learned from China a thousand years ago, copied into the aristocracy as a strict code (compare to France "Sun King" Louis 14 expecting courtiers to dance and inventing a whole etiquette around use of table utensils), and gradually diffused to the commoners over following centuries as expected norms of speech.

Everyone has expected norms of politeness that seem strange to other cultures. In China, the need for westerners to say "thank you" at every opportunity is seen as odd.

Now we know why QCOM is back at TSMC and working with Intel at 20A. This happened at 10nm as well. Yields were in the single digits so Samsung started selling good die instead of wafers. This may open the foundry doors for Intel. The industry needs a TSMC alternative so it could be Intel.

Reactions: VCT
nVidia ""guaranteed"" RTX3000 GPU delivery but failed so many times in the last two years. I guess nvidia got fooled by Samsung yield rate.

Back