[ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

RealSense & Typhoon H

Pawan Fangaria

In my article "Semiconductor Future Hinges on a Single Pillar", I had mentioned about some of the technologies to be very prominent in near future - Drone was one among those. I am happy to see Drones coming into limelight. I had also watched the CES 2016 panel on "Future of Urban Mobility" where Qualcomm CEO, Steve Mollenkopf emphasized about the importance of Drones in transportation, but difficulties in experimenting its use-model in the real world.

Now I see this Typhoon H Drone by Yuneec. It's powered by Intel's RealSense technology known for sensing long depth. Typhoon H has built-in anti-collision feature that makes it full-proof of any kind of collision.

View attachment 16363

Does that remove the phobia about Drone that it will crash, collide, or hit into an aircraft when too high? I haven't checked into battery life for duration of operation, but I guess that solution, may be charge-by-fly (it's just my thought for now :D) too would come out soon.

So, are we in for our goods purchased on-line to be delivered by Drones within a few hours?

A few weeks ago the defending World Cup Champion Marcel Hirscher was nearly struck by a falling drone during competition.

View attachment 16364

On a local note here in Tualatin someone flew a drone, lost it in the air and it landed in our neighborhood, so we are trying to locate the owner by placing the drone outside on top of the common mailbox in hopes that the owner manages to find our street and come find their lost drone.

The live demo with the Typhoon H during Krzanich's CES keynote was impressive. The drone was leading a mountain biker through an obstacle course, avoiding trees while keeping the camera trained on the biker. They even dropped a tree in front of it to show it wasn't canned.

I was watching a US Missile Defense Agency briefing on CSPAN last night (random channel flipping and I used to work on that stuff). One of the big problems with directed energy weapons is the energy per kilogram - we are an order of magnitude off from having an airborne laser on a drone to operate at 60,000ft.

Similarly, drones falling into sporting events they are covering, or hot springs in Yellowstone, due to losing charge is a problem. Intel only said "Atom processor" in the Typhoon H, not much detail, but tablet-type horsepower is needed for RealSense. Bigger batteries are a weight problem requiring bigger engines and bigger airframes, it's a vicious cycle.

Aerial recharging (wireless beam from a ground station?) would be an interesting technology, especially if you could monetize it for delivery drones.

Don, I guess some kind of aerial recharging must evolve. Because looking from a business model angle, delivery drones may be flying for long hours, not only for one or two, but many deliveries.

Back