Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/new-iphone-14-range-tsmc-5-and-4.16648/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

New iPhone 14 range - TSMC 5 and 4

Xebec

Just saw the release specs for the new iPhone 14 range

The base and plus models use last year’s Apple A15 — on “tsmc 5nm” (N5?), while Pro uses a newer A16 processor on “tsmc 4nm”

I was a little surprised no N3 products, and only a “limited” volume for the newer A16 processor.

I did not see any disclosure on the new Apple Watch processor..

Just out of curiosity, who are the customers of TSMC and what is the application (CPU, GPU, network etc) are on the N3 node? TSMC stated N3 ramping 2H this year being profitable in 2023.

In order for Apple to use a process it must be ready in Q2 and N3 did not make it. N4 is a good process, no worries there.
What's the insight on what happens to that N3 capacity then ? Are they stockpiling some chips really early for next year's launch or do they defer volume ramping ? Other customers get it? Curious..

Just out of curiosity, who are the customers of TSMC and what is the application (CPU, GPU, network etc) are on the N3 node? TSMC stated N3 ramping 2H this year being profitable in 2023.

Most all of the big semiconductor companies will use TSMC N3 in all applications. Apple, Intel, AMD, NVDA, QCOM, MDTK, etc... Samsung had some trouble with their 3nm PDKs early on and Intel is not ready for 3nm foundry business yet so there really was no other choice. TSMC N3 will be be the biggest volume node in the history of TSMC, my opinion.

Back