Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/new-apple-customer-letter-on-backdoor.7327/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

New Apple customer letter on backdoor

The Apple position sounds reasonable to me, and the FBI appears to be over-stepping their boundaries on unlimited device access.

Almost every military/law enforcement person I have seen comment has said we should give up our freedoms and trust them. These are the same people that gave us the failing wars in Viet Nam, Afghanistan, Iraq, drugs, prostitution all at a horrible cost in money, resources, lives and reputation. We should always consider the track record of the people/organizations speaking. Our military actually created ISIS by disbanding Sadam's elite troops Republican Guard and telling them they had no place in the modern Iraq, which as we know now is one absolutely horrible failure. Not the people who should be dictating to the tech industry.

Does it matter that the phone in questions was a company phone? Owned by the company for use by the employee for company business? I'm guessing it was left behind because it had nothing on it. And why didn't the FBI just hire a teenage hacker that cracks phones in his mother's basement? Or the NSA? This whole thing does not pass the sniff test in my opinion. This is all about setting legal precedence?

I really like this guy, as long as he is on his meds:

With all due respect to Tim Cook and Apple, I work with a team of the best hackers on the planet. These hackers attend Defcon in Las Vegas, and they are legends in their local hacking groups, such as HackMiami. They are all prodigies, with talents that defy normal human comprehension. About 75% are social engineers. The remainder are hardcore coders. I would eat my shoe on the Neil Cavuto show if we could not break the encryption on the San Bernardino phone. This is a pure and simple fact.

MCAFEE: I'll decrypt San Bernardino phone free - Business Insider

The FBI is so incompetent that they ignored a caller who was a retired US air force fighter pilot who called them twice over a Middle Eastern student taking airliner flying lessons and didn't want to learn to land. He called twice and this is just one of many examples. The result of this absolute stupidity was 911. I had a long time friend who headed the local FBI office who was sharp and chaffed under near total incompetence in US law enforcement.

Last edited:
May be I am misunderstanding something here, but if FBI legally asks for the private data of a suspected criminal to investigate under court proceedings, I do not see anything wrong in that. That would not mean, breaching the privacy of all the billions of smartphones in use.

Pawan, the FBI is actually asking for Apple to supply a new version of the iOS that would be capable of unlocking all iPhones and iPads ever made, giving the FBI total control over the privacy of customer information which is in direct violation of the privacy policy at Apple.

Even Google agrees with Apple's position, because it's about our privacy.

Here's another interesting news story about the incompetent government investigation at San Bernardino:

San Bernardino Shooter's iCloud Password Changed While iPhone was in Government Possession

That's improper, a blanket policy like this will be open to misuse. The required data for a suspected criminal should be disclosed on need to know basis and I'm sure there can be various channels for this, other than a new leaky iOS version.

Back