Array
(
    [content] => 
    [params] => Array
        (
            [0] => /forum/index.php?threads/morris-chang-speech-oct-26-2021.14846/
        )

[addOns] => Array
        (
            [DL6/MLTP] => 13
            [Hampel/TimeZoneDebug] => 1000070
            [SV/ChangePostDate] => 2010200
            [SemiWiki/Newsletter] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/WPMenu] => 1000010
            [SemiWiki/XPressExtend] => 1000010
            [ThemeHouse/XLink] => 1000970
            [ThemeHouse/XPress] => 1010570
            [XF] => 2021370
            [XFI] => 1050270
        )

[wordpress] => /var/www/html
)

Morris Chang speech Oct 26 2021

VCT

The speech was about how Morris Chang grow and learn. But there was a Q&A in the end.
I will summarize Q &A and update late..

• 1. He knows every Intel CEO including Pat. Pat visited Morris in Taiwan in 2015. Morris was impressed that Pat can explain what VMware is very clear in 15 mins.
  • In 2015, the way Pat speak was not very politely. (I can not find a very good words to translate. It means speaking aggressively. Not worry what people might be offended by what he says ). Now Pat is speaking the same way to TSMC. So I am speaking to same way back to him.
2. Base on current information, I still can not see when to shortage will be over. But eventually it will be over. I told you 2 years ago that TSMC will be getting more important. Now it's true. TSMC will be getting more important as time goes by.

3. Video 1h:16-1h 19......answering in English.
The world is not flat any more.
To spend huge money to build fabs in Europe and USA will fail. Eventually they will find the cost will be too high.

4. Video 1h:20......answering in English.
Question by Dr. Lu (Founder of Etron & GLOBAL UNICHIP CORP.) : asking how do Taiwanese manage American/Japanese.

5. Video 1h:25......answering in English.
Question by Dr. Huang (Chairman of Powerchip.): asking will TSMC can continue be competitive.

6. Pat just want US government's money.

7. TSMC has learning curve advantage. That's why Pat wants to do foundry business.

8. TSMC strategies (written by Morris in 1998. He said it's being 20+ years so it's no longer secrets now. so he shares them now.)
1635283658854.png

1635283690380.png

1635283726192.png

1635283773255.png

1635283819243.png

1635283845366.png

1635283874404.png

Last edited:
Yes please do! Thank you! Here is another write-up:

• The founder of Taiwan Semiconductor (NYSE:TSM), the world's biggest chip foundry, said Tuesday that a possible U.S. plan to spend $52 billion to boost the nation's domestic semiconductor production will not be nearly enough to accomplish the task.

• Speaking at a forum in Taipei, Morris Chang, said there is likely no amount of money that the U.S. could spend in order to created an entire chip supply chain at home. Chang said the nature of the chip industry, with many of its fabrication plants and facilities in Asia, makes creating an entirely U.S.-based chip supply chain a fantasy.

• "If you want to reestablish a complete semiconductor supply chain in the U.S., you will not find it as a possible task," Chang said, according to a report in Nikkei Asia. Chang said that even if the U.S. allocated hundreds of billions of dollars to the task, "you will still find the supply chain to be incomplete, and you will find that it will be very high cost, much higher costs than what you currently have."

• A plan for the U.S. to spend $52 billion on building up domestic semiconductor production passed the senate earlier this year, but has yet to be enacted into law.

• U.S. semiconductor industry executives, including Intel (NASDAQ:INTC) CEO, have been pushing legislators and the Biden Administration to invest more in the nation's semiconductor industry as it deals with ongoing supply chain issues that have caused long delays in the delivery of components used in many consumer and enterprise tech products.

Last edited:
The speech was about how Morris Chang grow and learn. But there was a Q&A in the end.

• 1. He knows every Intel CEO including Pat. Pat visited Morris in Taiwan in 2015. Morris was impressed that Pat can explain what VMware is very clear in 15 mins.
  • In 2015, the way Pat speak was not very politely. (I can not find a very good words to translate. It means speaking aggressively. Not worry what people might be offended by what he says ). Now Pat is speaking the same way to TSMC. So I am speaking to same way back to him.
2. Base on current information, I still can not see when to shortage will be over. But eventually it will be over. I told you 2 years ago that TSMC will be getting more important. Now it's true. TSMC will be getting more important as time goes by.

To spend huge money to build fabs in Europe and USA will fail. Eventually they will find the cost will be too high.

Question by Dr. Lu (Founder of Etron & GLOBAL UNICHIP CORP.) : asking how do Taiwanese manage American/Japanese.

Question by Dr. Huang (Chairman of Powerchip.): asking will TSMC can continue be competitive.
It's so interesting and sometimes funny to hear this speech and Q&A. Morris is very relax and blunt in various topics. From his comments about Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger, you can tell he doesn't like Pat keeps telling the world TSMC is not a safe and reliable semiconductor supplier/partner. He called him "this guy".

Morris explained why he called Pat "this guy" is because Pat is not treating TSMC nicely/politely and he just returned in the same fashion.

WOW!!

We can say Morris is talking freely because he retired from TSMC and holds no any responsibility at TSMC. But it seems to me Pat is burning the bridge even before crossing the river.

I don't remember any TSMC customers ever accuse TSMC for this and that and vice versa.

Last edited:
Morris has always been blunt, one of his leadership qualities. I remember many times on conference calls when Morris told and analyst his question was stupid or it made no sense and of course he was right.

I knew it! So, my hunch was right all along!

For years, process people been speculating that TSMC is quietly playing their clients against each others, not letting leaders to get complete dominance, and not letting others slack either. So nobody of their clients grow too big to get any negotiating power with them.

I think this gives people feeling that they are "one tape off away from a competitor"

View attachment 567

Age based promotions, this is so Taiwanese.
@Paul2

Morris was NOT talking about the age. He was talking about "Job Grade (j.g.). This is "Upper-level managers" for "Job Grade" 38 and higher. It's a very common practice in US and in Taiwan to assign a pay grade or job grade number to each different position within a government agency or a business.

Last edited:
Job Grade 35. 36 are managers/senior managers.
Job Grade 38 are high level. Close to Assistant Vice President.

Last edited:

6. Pat just want US government's money.

7. TSMC has learning curve advantage. That's why Pat wants to do foundry business.

8. TSMC strategies (written by Morris in 1998. He said it's being 20+ years so it's no longer secrets now. so he shares them now.)
View attachment 554
View attachment 555

View attachment 556

View attachment 557

View attachment 558

View attachment 559
View attachment 560
I read news reports about this speech where they used the word "discourteous" to describe how Chang characterized Pat Gelsinger. English is not my first language and I have never encountered this word before so I had to look it up in the dictionary. Is "discourteous" the same as "blunt"? If it is then we have one discourteous man talking about another discourteous man but I suspect this may be a case of something being lost in translation.

Please see the #3 post above in this thread. There are many reporters and secondhand writers who don't have enough language skills and sufficient industry knowledge to report on this particular speech.

I still believe my interpretation is close to what Morris have said.

"Morris explained why he called Pat "this guy" is because Pat is not treating TSMC nicely/politely and he just returned in the same fashion."

Actually Morris praised or agreed with Pat Gelsinger in two places in his speech:

1. When Pat, as the CEO of the VMware, visited TSMC and met Morris five years ago, Pat can explain clearly what exactly VMware can do in 15 minutes.

2. Morris agreed with Pat's comments about it's better to have a CEO with strong background and up-to-date knowledge in engineering to lead a high-tech company, such as a semmiconductor company.

On the other hand I don't blame Morris for calling Pat "this guy". I think considering the situation, Morris probably had chosen a much lighter word than he might otherwise use.

The situation are:

1. TSMC has been a major partners of Intel for a long time. Starting next year Intel will have a multi-year product rollout plan using TSMC's capabilities. As all the major semiconductor projects must do, it requires a lot of trust, dedication, and collaboration from Intel and TSMC.

How can Pat publicly keep attacking TSMC's credibility and reliability and at the same time ask TSMC to manufacture the most advanced chips for Intel?

Yes, Intel needs US government's money but does that warrant Pat Gelsinger to throw a long time partner TSMC under the bus?

And it's even before the public can see those important Intel products on the market!

2. In several interviews and presentations, Intel/Pat Gelsinger and Globalfundries casually grouped TSMC and Taiwan's semiconductor industry with mainland China's.

Intel and Pat Gelsinger ignored the fact that Republic of China (Taiwan) has been an US ally since the World War II.

They don't bother to think about after the 1949 Chinese civil war, tens of millions of Chinese/Taiwanese lost their home and relatives to those endless CCP's campaigns and assaults. Many of them left mainland China in order to escape from the communist's brutality.

That's including Dr. Morris Chang.

Last edited:
Does Pat make similar comments about Samsung?

Also does South Korea effectively have "a complete semiconductor supply chain" as Dr. Chang would describe?

Back